Revelry: Who’s who on the Main Stage

From up-and-coming Nick Hakim to established Chance the Rapper, headlining artists set to rock Saturday night
Chance the Rapper
Gif courtesy of Giphy/Tumblr
Chance the Rapper

Chance who? Get to know the headliners of the third annual Revelry Arts and Music Festival with these quick tasters.

Chance the Rapper

Chancelor Bennett, aka. Chance the Rapper, reigns from the strong Chicago hip-hop tradition. But he separated himself from the swarm of Yeezus wannabes — and accomplished greats like Common and frequent collaborator Twista — in 2013 with his second mixtape Acid Rap.

Universally acclaimed for its melodic, heavily syncopated and groovy flows, Acid Rap propelled Chano to stardom. “Good Ass Intro,” featuring Vic Mensa and Twista, “Cocoa Butter Kisses” and “Juice” exemplify his satisfying transitions between verse and chorus, in addition to themes ranging from social commentary to weed.

But since Acid Rap‘s immense success, the Pitchfork darling hasn’t released a ton of new music, excluding “No Better Blues” in October 2014. Also in October, Chance teased an upcoming, free LP entitled Surf — including collaborations with Frank Ocean and J. Cole — and allegedly announced recently at a concert it will be released within a week.

Lately, Chance has toured across the world consistently backed by his band and hip-hop collective The Social Experiment. With luck, they will deem Library Mall worthy of a few new beats and lyrics — in addition to his dependably enjoyable tracks — when performing Saturday at Revelry.

— Audrey Piehl

The Chainsmokers

Revelry: The Chainsmokers can’t wait to party with hot girls at Kollege Klub this Saturday

AlunaGeorge

As Revelry Music and Arts Festival draws near dusk, AlunaGeorge’s pulsating synth beats and seductive vocals should serve as a good bridge between the slower vibes of Mick Jenkins’ hip-hop set and the Chainsmokers’ fast-paced, big-festival-vibes performance.

But the British pop duo’s show should serve as more than a palette cleanser between acts. The burgeoning band will be a perfect option for Revelry goers who want to let loose and swing their inebriated bodies to the light yet powerful tunes. With Aluna Francis on vocals and George Reid DJing, the group has somehow found the perfect cross section between textured synthpop, jazzy R&B and festival-ready electronic rhythms.

For Badgers who have been die hard fans since the release of their 2012 single “Your Drums, Your Love,” it’s possible AlunaGeorge will play new music from an upcoming album. According to Billboard, AlunaGeorge introduced two songs, including a “casual club bumper” at their Tuesday night show in Brooklyn. Fingers crossed, y’all.

— Selena Handler

Mick Jenkins

A 24-year-old booming baritone from Chicago, Mick Jenkins has a rap aesthetic best visualized with neo-soul, jazz and strokes of drill rap as its primary colors. Jenkins’ deep, lacerative vocals are laid on top of lax, soulful grooves like steel hammers on a wood floor. Fans of Earl Sweatshirt, Vince Staples, Isaiah Rashad and others of the like temper will find Jenkins particularly palatable.

He’ll most likely be performing songs from his 2014 mixtape The Water[s]. Check out songs “Jazz” and “The Waters” to get a good sense of his lyrical style and flow. Heavy, yeah, but Jenkins never misses a beat; he’s focused on articulate diction and streamlined vocal delivery.

Having collaborated with Chance the Rapper (and Vic Mensa) on 2013 single “Crossroads,” Jenkins likes to rep his Chicago roots. And with this year’s Revelry lineup, we’re being graced with two of the Windy City’s most idiosyncratic rappers. Who knows? Maybe we’ll get to see Chance bring Jenkins on for a cameo.

— Jake Rickun

Until the Ribbon Breaks

From Cardiff, Britain, Until the Ribbon Breaks is a fusion of half a dozen genres, banking on a ridiculous range of noises to keep things interesting. The cute boy-band voice of Pete Lawrie-Winfield sustains creepy lyrics coupled with awkward sound bites and club beats. They’re a catchy, more mainstream Radiohead with a hard grasp on hip-hop.

They recently released a debut album, A Lesson Unlearnt, which features acts Homeboy Sandman and Run the Jewels. Their sound is clearly adaptable, embracing the abstract and the surreal (not surprising that Winfield used clips from David Lynch’s Lost Highway for the music video of their song “Pressure”).

Pitchfork referred to UTRB as “avant-R&B savants.” They embrace a phantom noise that crawls under your skin. It’s better than club; it’s better than plain electronic. Rather, it gives us a sticky range of emotions that cascades from nostalgic to horrific within seconds.

— Lexy Brodt

Nick Hakim

Nick Hakim is a deep-thinker, rooted in rhythm and a multi-genre narrative of his young life. His two Eps, Where Will We Go Pt. 1 and Pt. 2, are just slices of what the industry can hope to see from this 23-year-old soothsayer. Crossing multiple genres — R&B, jazz and folk — the D.C. native has produced just a pocketful of heavenly songs, dealing with romance, religion and the general existential qualities of young 20-something millennials.

With a hazy, resonating voice (similar to that of James Blake), Hakim is an easy add to any sex playlist. Perfectly coordinated with experimental bits and instrumental nuance, there is a practiced patience in every song. Try “Papas Fritas,” a steady collision of guitar plucks and simple beats.

Hakim redefines modern jazz, giving the gift of a dream that you’ll never want to wake up from. Too bad he only has nine songs on his repertoire — hopefully he’ll bring more to Revelry Saturday.

— Lexy Brodt