Lily and Madeline blend smooth harmonies, production for mesmerizing Frequency show

Indianapolis folk band broke genre mold with mellow sound, perform like seasoned artists

Last Friday in the crowded and intimate Frequency music venue, two girls with matching brunette hair casually made their way onto the stage. Donning earthy tones and an air of tranquility, Lily and Madeleine Jurkiewicz might seem like an average set of Midwest sisters. However, as soon as the drumline, piano chords and string arrangements hit, it is apparent they are unlike anyone else their age. With the confidence and skill of seasoned musicians, their presence and musical ability hypnotized the crowd, especially with their hauntingly impeccable harmonies and lingering lyrics.

Shannon Hayden supported Lily and Madeleine, opening the night with her incredibly unique and alternative take on cello performance. Her classical training was clear in her control and handle of her instrument, but she was able to create a modern sound by combining classic elements with modern electric noise. Hayden performed a set of songs from her 2012 album, Solid State Cello. By looping the chords on her cello and filtering her voice through reverb, Hayden created an orchestral and atmospheric sound. Hayden conjured up the sound of an entire string arrangement and used her ethereal vocals to back the songs.

When Lily and Madeleine took the stage, the crowd went silent. All eyes were on the Indianapolis natives as they tuned and strummed their instruments. The girls seemed at home on stage, smiling and laughing as they set up their equipment. Older sister, Madeleine, broke the silence.

“We weren’t expecting this many people tonight. We’ve never played in Madison, so thank you for showing up.”

The girls started their show with their song “Fumes”, which happens to share a title with their sophomore album released last October. The Jurkiewicz sisters showed the audience an array of their discography by playing songs from Fumes and their self-titled album, Lily and Madeleine.

“Devil We Know” and “Come to Me” prompted nodding heads and dancing bodies in the crowd, while “Paradise” and “Can’t Admit” garnered swaying and silent attention. It can be easy to fall into a one style trap when a group is labeled “folk,” but Lily and Madeleine break away from these basic conceptions to offer a modern approach that defies just one genre.

Between songs, Lily and Madeleine’s personality and confidence shined. The girls engaged with the audience, asking them about the weather and cheese curds. Madeleine joked with the audience.

“I guess we’ll have to stay here forever so this weather stays,” she said.

Both of the girls were bubbly, personable and genuinely excited to play their music for the audience. Their thrill was infectious, and the crowd watched the entire set with the same level of joy.

Lily and Madeleine’s amalgamation of lyricism and soaring harmonies were the highlights of the night. During “The Wolf is Free” the sisters crooned, “Ten fingernails deep, and I won’t let you go / You will not bury me.”

Lily and Madeline’s opposing vocals enhanced the emotional intensity of their creative story. Opposition may seem to imply friction, but this was definitely not the case. Lily’s lower and raspier voice complimented Lily’s lighter and airier sound. Together, their harmonies mesmerized the crowd, almost sounding like one fluid voice.

The Jurkiewicz sisters finished their set with a couple of unreleased songs, “Nothing” and “Midwest Kids.” These were the most impressive songs of the night. They showed the maturity of their artistry and highlighted the best parts of their previous albums. Their vocals and lyrics took center stage, leaving minimalist production. Lily and Madeleine know their strengths and are clearly working on creating better music for themselves and their fans.

Lily and Madeleine’s harmonies, lyricism and down to earth personalities created an atmosphere of serenity and smoothness that lasted long after the music stopped playing.