The Band Perry to rock for a cause

Eighteen. That is the average number of people who die every day waiting for an organ transplant. Currently, more than 119,700 people are waiting to receive an organ. These daunting statistics are exactly what have prompted the American Society of Transplantation to initiate Power2Save.

The goal of Power2Save to better inform the public about the “importance of donating organs, advocating for patient health, and funding transplant research through the Transplant Research Institute,” according to the organization’s website.

And what a better way to promote this cause than to hold a benefit concert that showcases one of the most popular country bands today. The Band Perry will be strappin’ on its boots this Friday night at the Alliant Energy Center here in Madison to help raise awareness for the P2S initiative.

In the summer of 2005, three siblings from Mobile, Ala., got together and started a band.  It consisted of two younger brothers, Neil and Reid, who played instrumental back-ups for their older sister and lead singer, Kimberly.  Three years later, after opening for numerous artists, the Perry family was discovered in 2008 by manager Bob Doyle.  The three musicians finally had their breakthrough.

Since 2009, after the band signed with the Republic Nashville label and released its first single “Hip to my Heart,” The Band Perry has skyrocketed in popularity.  In 2010, the band’s well-known single, “If I Die Young,” went platinum four times.  Since its debut, The Band Perry has played to sold-out crowds on tour and performed at many big-name award shows, including the Country Music Awards.  Not to mention they have been nominated for Grammys, AMAs and Billboard music awards, to name a few.

This past spring, these country kin transitioned from a country-pop sound into an edgier rock style of country music with the release of the new album Pioneer.  The exploration of this new genre showcases the unique and powerful vocal quality of Kimberley Perry.

The band’s official website indicates the songs recorded for Pioneer have been tailor-made for arena performances.  And they will accomplish exactly that when they take the stage at the Alliant Energy Center Friday.

While The Band Perry might be performing to raise awareness for Power2Save, you don’t have to be a world famous band in order to raise either money or awareness for the organization. Tickets to the Power2Save concert are available online at Ticketmaster.com and power2save.org. Tickets may also be purchased at the door on the day of the concert.

Every single cent of the proceeds from Power2Save will go towards funding for the ongoing improvements of medical research in transplantation.

What could be better than seeing a top-charting band while supporting a worthy cause? This is the perfect way to kick-start your weekend — by spending a Friday evening rocking out to a great band while supporting a great cause.