‘Indicud’ testament to Cudi’s talent

Since his launch in the hip hop scene, Kid Cudi has proven to be as unique as they come. Dubbed the “Lonely Stoner” early on, Kid Cudi made a name for himself and built a loyal fan base centered on his psychologically complex content and diverse track production. Coming out of GOOD music during Kanye West’s experimental years, Cudi was first featured on “Welcome to Heartbreak” on Kanye’s 808s & Heartbreak. Soon after, his mixtape A Kid Named Cudi exploded and produced the smash single “Day ‘N’ Nite.” His first two studio albums garnered massive popularity and critical acclaim. His experimental project into rock ‘n’ roll, however, didn’t bode very successful, leaving fans unsatisfied after two tremendous albums.

With the release of his third solo studio album, we see a fusion of Kid Cudi’s variety of sounds and vocals. Throughout Indicud, Cudi’s mind opens in a new way previously unseen. Blending diverse styles, we see each area of musicality Cudi explores. From tracks like “New York City Rage Fest,” a strictly instrumental song that is reminiscent of any popular electronic song, to “Lord of the Sad and Lonely,” a true Cudi track that showcases his appreciation for the fans he inspires, Cudi strives to touch all points on the spectrum.

Cudi has released various tracks from the album since August, when the world was graced with “Just What I Am,” a song with Kid Cudi’s Cleveland brother King Chip. It showed fans that Cudi was returning to his psychedelic roots and was embracing his recreational habits. In addition, “King Wizard,” “Immortal” and “Girls” were all also released before the actual album.

Self-producing the album, Cudi uses true musical freedom throughout, and his ability to concoct ridiculous instrumentals is evident. “The Resurrection of Scott Mescudi” kicks off the track list, opening up with an instrumental beat that appears to be one from a slasher film. The gloomy undertone in the song kicks off the album with signature Cudi sound. Immediately as the musical tone quickly shifts to a spacey undertone, a chilling sound bite from Macaulay Culkin in the film “The Good Son” kicks off “Unf*ckwittable,” a tune that gives the listener a direct listen into Cudi’s mind. Behind a synthesizer beat, he reminds his critics that no matter what hate is spewed at him during his constant musical evolution, he will brush the comments off and continue to do as he pleases. Cudi demonstrates how he has reached stardom with his success and that his loner status among the posse-heavy scene that dominates hip hop nowadays just isn’t his style.

“Brothers,” a highly anticipated track that prominently features A$AP Rocky and King Chip, shows while Cudi may be known for his independence, he will always keep his real friends close. A$AP’s vocal tone matches the laid back melody perfectly, as Cudi dominates the chorus with hollow words that echo in the beat. Cudi continues to flip the bird to the people that frequently trash his music and acknowledges that those who really matter are just fans, family and friends.

“Red Eye” may very well be the most melodic song Cudi has ever produced, and if any song on the album catches the listener’s ear right away, it’s this track. The soothing and smooth vibrations of the beat match the soft and tranquil vocals of Cudi and the band Haim. This upbeat jam offers a side previously unseen in the rapper and is quite the impressive change of pace from his normal style.

Featuring an eclectic group of guests ranging from Kendrick Lamar — the hottest storyteller in hip hop — to Michael Bolton, Cudi has proven with Indicud that he isn’t afraid to experiment with various musical styles. While Indicud may not match the lyrical content that Cudi fans fell in love with, this has been the first opportunity that we have seen Cudi fully construct something that was strictly his vision. He’s clearly not past his WZRD days and still hopes to produce rock tracks, as displayed by “Young Lady,” featuring Father John Misty. His constant switch between singing and rapping adds a unique feel to a Kid Cudi album that is more eclectic than those in the past. He had a hand in writing every track, and only had assistance in the production of one track. If there’s anything to pull from the album, it’s that Cudi is a musical powerhouse who has an independent vision with his music and isn’t going to change that any time soon.

4 Stars out of 5.