Turquoise Jeep rolls through Madison tonight

TJeep
Five of Turquoise Jeep’s six members pose at Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin. They’ll take the stage at The Majestic tonight on their first-ever Madison date.[/media-credit]

Maybe you’ve seen the t-shirts that say: “Flynt Flossy is my favorite rapper.” Maybe you’ve watched “Lemme Smang It” on YouTube. Maybe you’ve heard Childish Gambino’s song “F**k Your Blog.” If any of the above sounds familiar, you’ve experienced Turquoise Jeep, and tonight, you’ll be able to experience them in the flesh. Tonight’s show at The Majestic will be Turquoise Jeep’s first time ever in Wisconsin, though they were close last spring when they performed in Chicago.

Turquoise Jeep first rolled up on the music scene in October 2010, when their video “LEMME SMANG IT” became a YouTube hit. For those of you confused by this song title, “smang” is a combination of the words “smash” and “bang.” The video is notorious for its catchy chorus – “Lemme smang it, gurrrrrl/(Smash and bang it)” – and the puzzlingly low-tech backgrounds, as well as for Flynt Flossy’s killer dance moves.

“Not everything is meant to be understood,” said Flossy in an interview with The Badger Herald.

So who is Turquoise Jeep? No one really knows. Seriously. The group is notoriously secretive about their origins. Each of the members – Flynt Flossy, Pretty Raheem, Slick Mahony, Tummiscratch, Whatchyamacallit and Yung Humma – is disguised in some way: Almost every member wears shades and too-ridiculous-to-be-real facial hair. No information about members’ pre-Turquoise Jeep lives are known, including any names besides stage aliases. However, there are rumors circulating that Turquoise Jeep members are secretly successful Atlanta-area record producers.

Turquoise Jeep member Flynt Flossy said group members met each other through their involvement in the entertainment industry. The rap group started when Flossy realized he knew lots of creative people in the industry and went to Whatchyamacallit, now a fellow member of Turquoise Jeep, with his idea.

“We’re surrounded by talent,” Flossy had said to Whatchyamacallit. “It just needs the right leadership and to be molded.”

They chose to put “turquoise” in their name because it is the color of serenity. If Turquoise Jeep were a drink, he said it would be a mix of turquoise stuff, chillness and creativity.

“We’re all a bunch of chill, laid-back dudes,” Flossy explained.

Turquoise Jeep has a unique artistic vision. Flossy says the group believes in total creative freedom.

“The vision is not caring,” Flossy said. “Whatever comes into my head, I’m just gonna do it. … If it’s in my brain, I’m gonna do it.”

Flossy spoke highly of fellow rapper Childish Gambino, also known as Troy from the popular NBC show “Community.” Flossy and other Turquoise members met Childish Gambino at Fun Fun Fun Fest, an annual music and comedy festival held in Austin, Texas.

“I think he’s brilliant,” Flossy said. “His rhymes are superb,” Flossy said.

Flossy said Turquoise Jeep would like to collaborate with Childish Gambino again in the future, as well as will Timothy DeLaGhetto, who is featured on their song “Gotta Go To Cali REMIX.” Flossy would love to someday have M.C. Hammer or Prince in one of his music videos and wishes he could have had a chance to work with the late Michael Jackson.

The group is known for high-energy performances, which Flossy says comes from the group’s genuine love of sharing their talents with everyone in the audience. Although Flossy is known among Turquoise Jeep fans for his dance skills, he says all group members dance onstage.

“I just see something on TV, and I do it,” said Flossy. “It’s all from dancing at parties and such.”

In Turquoise Jeep’s spare time, they stay devoted to their music. The group utilizes a variety of social media to promote themselves and have performed many times since their debut in 2010.

“We’re always on the road, always making music,” Flossy said. “We’re either filming or recording or we’re touring.”

For those who catch the Madison leg of their current tour, Flossy had this to say:

“Expect an experience,” he said. “Keep the jeep ridin’, baby.”

Turquoise Jeep will perform at The Majestic tonight. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. and tickets are $15. For more information, visit majesticmadison.com