How to maneuver crowds, stay safe in the Murs mosh pit

When one hears the name Nick Carter in the music business, it’s difficult not to think of the fourth member of the Backstreet Boys. It’s no wonder the American rapper of the same name, to avoid needless, embarrassing confusion-goes by Murs.

Murs has been a crucial member of the rap group 3 Melancholy Gypsies, 3MG, since the ’90s. He will perform solo on the Madison stages constructed for Freakfest this weekend. With so many bands and the variety of sounds they bring reverberating around State Street and beyond, there is sure to be the annual influx of jamming and pulsating out-of-towners. For those who aren’t used to crowds of this proportion – especially the poor freshmen that have yet to stray from the daily dorm-class-library-dorm cycle of existence – a how-to guide is a must. That along with grit, determination and a small dose of crazy; which shouldn’t be too hard to come by these days with exams in full swing.

The first step is choosing a costume that won’t restrict movement in any way. No loose parts or accessories, and none of those inflatable sumo wrestler outfits; you’ll just get trampled (or popped). Secondly, beware all bros (Unless, of course, you are one. In which case, with all due respect, make an effort to mind your manners). Bros are normally a congenial, harmless breed, but their aggression has been known to come out in concert settings. They might be inebriated, confused about who Murs even is and trying to impress a shivering someone in fishnets and cat ears. So, it might be best to steer clear.

A good way to do this is by working it into your dance moves. Murs is notorious for throwing down a good beat, making it relatively simple to jive and juke your way around unwanted concert-goers in close proximity. This could even be a way to get up close and personal with Murs, if you get good enough.

The most crucial piece of advice: Wield the occasional elbow, but not enough to ruin anyone’s mood or cause a riot-there will be police horses there, after all. And, above all, try to make the music, Murs’ layering of lyrical wisdom over rhythms, the object of this Freakfest experience.