May day: Eclectic Irish act set to perform at Majestic

ImeldaMay
Imelda May’s most recent album, ‘Mayhem,’ was released in September 2010. The singer and her band take the stage in Madison tonight.[/media-credit]

Irish singer/songwriter Imelda May started performing in pubs and bars in Dublin when she was just 16 years old. Tonight, 21 years later, Imelda May will perform in Madison at the Majestic Theater.

Imelda May’s show is a unique blend of many different types of music.

“I’d say it’s a mixture of rockabilly, blues, country, jazz, pop-punk … and sometimes a bit of traditional Irish songs. I suppose you’d call it a mongrel,” May said.

May’s childhood helped to shape her interesting assortment of music choices. She grew up in the Liberties, a small area in the very center of Dublin – an area so old that it pre-dates the Vikings. It is an area, according to May, that is full of “rich and colorful characters.”

“There’s a lot of music in the area. A lot of great musicians have come from around there. There’s always great music in the local pubs,” May continued.

Along with the community’s influence, her family helped May discover artists such as Nat King Cole, The Rolling Stones, the Carpenters and Elvis. May grew up in a two-bedroom house with four older brothers and sisters. Her father was a rather eccentric man, according to May, but he had a great record collection covering many of his favorite classics. With only one record player between seven people in the small, thin-walled house, May had no option but to listen to each family member’s music choices along with her own.

“There was a big, big mixture of music so it was great for me having all of that.” she said.

Along with a few cover songs, the Madison audience will hear a combination of songs from Imelda May’s first album, Tattoo Love, and her newest album, Mayhem. To keep things interesting and to keep the show fresh, May also incorporates a unique song for each tour location. For example, in Boston she sang, “Cape Cod” and in New York she sang, “Baby I Love You,” a version of which was done by a well-known New York band, the Ramones.

“Who knows what I’ll pick out of my head to do by the time we get to you,” she said.

May is accompanied by the four members of her band: Dave Priseman (trumpet, flugelhorn and percussion), Darrel Higham (guitar), Al Gare (double bass and bass guitar) and Steve Rushton (drums), all of whom are independent musicians in their own right.

May has gone from the pubs of Dublin to what many would consider superstardom. Last year, she performed with Jeff Beck during the Grammys. She has also performed with such artists as Eric Clapton, Meatloaf, David Gilmore and Wanda Jackson. In 2009, she was awarded Best Female Artist of the Year at the Meteor Awards. 

Surprisingly, in the face of all her achievements, May has no formal musical training.
“I’ve never been musically educated. I’ve never gone to music colleges or anything like that … so in a way that kind of gives me a lot of freedom. You just like what you like,” May said.

May also has her own sense of style when it comes to her appearance. She sports a ’50s look with jet-black hair and one blond curl in the front, exuding an aura of confidence and class.

Aside from the superstar aura and chart-topping albums, May seems to be a down-to-earth woman who just wants the audience to have fun and enjoy the music.

“I hope they come to the gig and have a good time,” May said, when asked what she wanted to say to the audience. With such a broad blend of musical genres, it should be easy for her show to appeal to many.

Doors open at 7:30 p.m. for the 8:30 p.m. show. Advance tickets are $18; tickets are $20 if bought at the door. For more information about Imelda May’s upcoming concert, check out Majestic Theater’s website, www.majesticmadison.com.