Cake concert offers the frosting on top of post-finals glee

cake4
Fed up with record label expectations encroaching on their musical creativity, the members of Cake decided to create their own label, Upbeat Records and recorded their latest album, ‘Showroom of Compassion’ in a solar electric powered facility built by the environmentally conscious members of the group.[/media-credit]

It’s slightly tempting to want to reference cake when talking to Xan McCurdy, a member of the alternative rock band that shares the same name. But within moments of McCurdy’s interview with The Badger Herald, Cake’s lead guitarist mentioned a different type of dessert, ice cream. And in this case, specifically Madison’s own Babcock ice cream. “I’d love to go to Babcock. I have a friend who says it’s the best ice cream in the world.”

So don’t be surprised if you happen to run into him after you finish up finals, when Cake comes to the Orpheum Theatre May 13 for a tour celebrating their latest record, Showroom of Compassion. Compassion, released in January, marks the band’s sixth full-length album and first in nearly seven years, after the release of 2004’s Pressure Chief.

Cake, which split from Columbia Records shortly after the release of Pressure Chief, self-produced and released Showroom of Compassion under their own label, Upbeat Records. That might explain why fans had to wait seven years for this latest record. McCurdy explains that the group was able to unfold Compassion under the band’s own time schedule, instead of having to work in conjunction to the demands of a major record label.

“We had plenty of time so we didn’t have to rush. Those record people can get upset with you, they can be kind of mean to you, they expect you to deliver on a specified time schedule, but for this record we didn’t have that. We got to, I wouldn’t say relax, but not stress out as much,” McCurdy said.

With that freedom, the band took the time to create music they felt could transition well from an album to a live performance.

“The songs from Pressure Chief were sort of hard to play live, so we wanted to make sure that when the record was done, we could play it live,” McCurdy said. “So we played it live once, and then went into the studio.”

The studio, in this case, being the solar electric powered facility built by the environmentally conscious band members themselves back in Sacramento.

Cake’s patience was rewarded when Compassion debuted at number one on the Billboard Top 200. This was the first time in the band’s 20 years in the industry that an album of theirs took the top spot. McCurdy, who likens Cake’s music genre to “country-funk,” was surprised as anyone with the position. “It was crazy, right? This is not like Cake, this isn’t a Cake-like occurrence, but it was really great, it was really nice.”

With that kind of enthusiasm, Cake plans on performing a show that invites fans to participate, transferring their energy to the audience.

“They should expect to sing because we have a lot of background vocals on our albums, and even though there’s five of us we can’t do every part so sometimes we need some help,” McCurdy said.

McCurdy says the band is “really looking forward to coming to Madison,” and with the show already sold out, it seems like Madison can’t wait until they come either.

Cake will be performing at the Orpheum Theater May 13 at 8 p.m.