‘Trident’ victorious in battle of bands

BATTLEBANDS_MH
Out of six local bands, including The American Standard pictured above, Lords of the Trident was chosen to open for Of Montreal in April at the Union South.[/media-credit]

They came with metal helmets, plastic axes and cardboard armor.

A serious battle of sonic proportions was set to commence, and Lords of the Trident were ready to release their rallying cry.

Perhaps subdued after a barrage of local indie rock bands playing it safe, or too many pitcher refills, the crowd at the Tuesday night battle of the bands competition was noticeably fatigued.

Local Madison bands crooned against one another showing off their skills in quick 20-minute sets hoping for the chance to open for Of Montreal at the April 15 grand opening of the new Union South.

But the chaotic, head-banging energy previously reverberating throughout the Rathskeller was suddenly missing.

Door prizes remained unclaimed, Bucky had since left the building and even the audience’s response to the universal concert cheer rouser, “How’s everybody feelin’ tonight”? was sluggish, and would have sounded painfully pathetic save for the Rat’s forgiving acoustics.

Lords of the Trident marched on stage with lead vocalist Fang VonKillenstein enchanting (or perhaps frightening) the crowd with some hefty tongue action, ? la Gene Simmons, and form-fitting leather pants with just enough flexibility-enabling Lycra to allow for high kicks.

Forcing us, the BOTB judges, into public shame by supplying cardboard medieval armor along with the disclaimer, “You’re gonna need these,” we knew this performance would be unique, at best. What was even more surprising was that it was actually good.

Like blazing pyrotechnics shooting out of Katy Perry’s breasts, VonKillenstein began to semi-screech their first tune, “Sky-Force,” with such a punch of theatricality it became admittedly hard not to take notice. It was clear from the start Lords of the Trident understood one thing: If you’re going to use props, wear mismatched, nonsensical costumes and wave a large pirate flag on stage, you’ve got to fully embrace your ridiculous persona with pride.

With the support of lead guitarists Killius Maximus (who can successfully deliver face-melting riffs while holding his electric guitar behind his head) and Asian Metal, VonKillenstein and the rest of the Tridents crew harnessed the musical strength of a thousand harmonious seas to present their talented, at times humorous, set.

At one point during their performance VonKillenstein pressured the ladies sitting near the front of the stage (my fellow arts editor, Sarah Witman) to dance with him while the rest of the band showed off their solo skills. This of course was before he ran around the perimeter of the Rat brandishing a plastic ax, dueling with willing audience members.

It may sound dramatic, and at times it was, but the delicate balance of supplying once-cautious audience members a taste of the local metal scene while still displaying a measure of talent, is an art.

But truthfully, it was their after-performance presence that really sealed the justification for their victory.

After the MC announced that Lords of the Trident had indeed captured the BOTB winning prize, a group of average boys assembled near the stage, looking to claim the honor and acclaim from the crowd.

The same guy who’d been belting out tunes with his falsetto voice and pelvic thrusting his junk in my general direction sheepishly strolled up to the center wearing jeans, a t-shirt and hiking boots. Learning from the great rock ‘n’ rollers of our time, it seems these guys know the power of an alter-ego stage presence.

It’s difficult to predict the antics that may ensue at their Union South performance, but be sure of one thing – you’ll need a shield, preferably cardboard.

In full disclosure, Sarah Witman and Ann Rivall were both judges at Battle of the Bands, along with Ben Munson of The Onion. Lords of the Trident will be playing at the new Union South grand opening on Friday, April 15 with headliners, Of Montreal. Tickets are $10.