Kids haven’t matured enough on latest

There’s a song on the Cold War Kids new album Mine is Yours called “Louder than Ever.” Listeners might take that title as a pledge from a reinvigorated band trying to improve upon a formula that worked great on their first album but became a little tiresome on their second effort, the underwhelming Loyalty to Loyalty. Unfortunately, for the Kids, Mine is Yours is a step backwards, managing to sound more derivative and generic than anything they’ve put out in the past.

The problems start with lead singer Nathan Willet, who in the past has oft been compared to a drunken Jeff Buckley. On the new album though, he sounds more like he’s doing his best impression of the lead singer of Mr. Mister (of “Take These Broken Wings” fame). 

On the eponymous opening track, he starts singing wordless self-serious refrains to accompany the opening instrumental. Once the piano breaks in, Willet starts singing actual lyrics, but the verses are too short to leave a lasting impression, leading immediately to a bland chorus in which “What’s mine is yours” is repeated over and over again.

On “Bulldozer” Willet uses a strained (and somewhat painful) falsetto to communicate garbled sentiments about human triumph and/or failure. The song can withstand the ambiguity of the lyrics; its churning beat and solemn guitars break into a pretty, wistful piano chorus. 

However, Willet’s odd choice to use a pitch his voice can’t quite attain is distracting, and makes the verses incredibly irritating to listen to. He does the same exact thing on “Sensitive Kid,” except here the falsetto is on the chorus instead of the verses, which fools the listener into thinking the song will be excellent before the unfortunate squeaky surprise of the hook.

It’s not all bad news, though. “Out of the Wilderness” is a straightforward, simple rock song, on which everyman sentiments contribute to an overall sense of contentment in the face of quotidian existence. There’s an urgency on “Cold Toes on the Cold Floor” which is reminiscent of the band’s best song (and biggest hit) “Hang Me Up to Dry.” And “Broken Open” is a confessional song which uses autobiographical details to paint a complex scene of the recovery that follows rock bottom.

However, frequently songs seem like they’re headed someplace worthwhile only to be derailed by elements that seem out of place, or downright unpleasant. “Skip the Charades” fails when Willet decides once again to insert random wordless vocal salvos. “Royal Blue” seems like a pretty classic blues rock jam until the lyrics morph, leaving the song confused, half cathartic complaint and half overwhelming optimism.

Perhaps the worst crime that the album commits is its inability to get away from sounding like other bands. A veritable who’s who of influences are detectable here, but rather than making songs that rival those of The Hold Steady or The Black Keys, the Cold War Kids seem content to release poor recapitulations of the songs of their betters. 

As for the song “Louder than Ever,” well, it turns out to be referring not to the Kids themselves, but to the singer’s ability to hear others “louder than ever.” 

Pity he couldn’t tune them out.

2 out 5 stars