The Script performs its ‘Science & Faith’ with rugged vocal poise

It has been called the sophomore slump; that instance where something fails to live up to the first effort. This phenomenon is unfortunately seen all over in the music industry. Oftentimes, if an artist or band’s second album fails to exceed or even meet expectations, that artist or group seems to just fade away.

But luckily for Irish-based trio The Script, a second album release has defied that clich? and in all likelihood will be able to push the band into American mainstream. Science & Faith, the second release from the band, has already reached No. 1 in Ireland and the United Kingdom and is likely to climb the charts here quite rapidly.

Coming out almost two years after its predecessor, The Script, the new album is truly a great subsequent effort. The band has pushed itself further and taken risks by experimenting with various rhythms and even genres, including rap.

The tracks are soulful and passionate and reveal thoughtful, well-constructed and catchy lyrics. This thoughtfulness is exemplified in the title track of the album, “Science & Faith,” as in the lines “I tried pushing evolution/ As the obvious conclusion off the start/ But it was all my own amusement/ Saying love was an illusion of a hopeless heart.”

Lead singer Danny O’Donoghue’s voice makes the songs; he is extremely enjoyable to listen to. O’Donoghue is clearly talented and has a good vocal range, although he doesn’t always use it. “Exit Wounds,” however, is one of the tracks where he does demonstrate his abilities, revealing a range listeners don’t always have the chance to grasp with the other tracks.

Throughout the album, the band tries to experiment with different rhythms and variations in speed, and although it adds to the diversity of the tracks, there are occasions in which the listener will wish The Script would just slow down. There are instances where the music seems to be moving too fast, and it feels as if there isn’t enough time to appreciate just how good these songs really are.

The fact that the band members wrote all of the songs lends to how genuine and honest they come across. In this generation, where so many artists are simply handed songs to sing, the fact that these musicians have poured themselves into their lyrics is very refreshing. However, listeners should be warned and ready to accept that the album is love-heavy; many of the tracks focus on love and relationships.

One of the most interesting tracks on the album is “Walk Away,” to which hip-hop star B.o.B. lends his vocals. At first, the song seems forgettable, but it is one of those that will grow on you and emerges as an interesting blend of light rock and rap that really hasn’t been seen before with The Script.

The tracks on the album flow seamlessly together, making it cohesive and complete. They are also slightly reminiscent of those from their first release – fans of “Breakeven” and “Before the Worst” will find themselves quickly enjoying the selections of Science & Faith.

The Script is one of those bands listeners will either love or hate, but those who are fans will fall in love with Science & Faith and won’t stop listening. Biases against their form of mellow rock aside, these Irishmen have created a truly satisfying album that will keep them on the radio for years to come.