Indie garage rockers ‘uncage’ new sound

Returning to the studio for their second album, Cage the Elephant releases a new sound with Thank You, Happy Birthday. While the band stays loyal to their southern roots, offering up 12 tracks of pure, abrasive rock, the new direction in which they are heading may not be entirely pleasing to fans. With tracks that sound more like Cage the Elephant’s influences than the band itself, Thank You, Happy Birthday proves to be an interesting snapshot of the band’s progression.

Hailing from Kentucky, Cage the Elephant received relative success with their first self-titled album. The band’s third single, “Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked,” made its way onto the Billboard Hot 100 while climbing up to the third spot on the Alternative Songs chart. Thank You, Happy Birthday strives to equal the band’s freshman success.

The album opens strong with “Always Something.” Lead singer Matthew Schultz’s voice immediately pulls the listener along the tip of his tongue as he croons the chorus, “It’s always somethin’ before the late night/ Around the corner/ There’s always somethin’ waitin’ for ya.”

Schultz’s vocals are right on here, as he masters his characteristic talking/singing style, giving the lyrics a maniacal quality. While definitely one of the stronger tracks on the piece as a whole, the Pixies’ influence comes on strong. This influence is particularly disconcerting as it continues throughout and sometimes degrades certain songs’ originality.

The next track, “Aberdeen,” can be seen as a nod to Aberdeen-native Kurt Cobain. “Aberdeen” marks a departure from the previous song in its lighter pace. While it still keeps in line with Cage the Elephant’s new sound, Schultz’s voice helps to make the track more like a ballad, grieving over the loss of such a rock icon.

“Shake Me Down,” the album’s first single is most reminiscent of the band’s previous work. Starting off slow, the song gradually builds in tempo along with Schultz’s vocal intensity. As a whole, the piece’s alternating speed contributes to the overall message, as the lyrics point towards drug addiction – a struggle Schultz overcame in the past with methadone.

The lines, “In my past, bittersweet/ There’s no love between the sheets/ Taste the blood, broken dreams/ Lonely times indeed,” combined with the repetition of “I’ll keep my eyes on the sun,” make the track’s hopefulness apparent. The single’s personal quality and purely Cage the Elephant sound make it undeniable.

While the band’s ability to be multidimensional may be questioned with their recent release – this insult is far from earned. Certain tracks are indeed much too close to copying the band’s influences; however, Cage the Elephant has managed to stay true to their own sound throughout, as their definitive brand of punk rock shines through. With tracks ranging from Schultz’s grungy growls to almost lullaby-like choruses, there’s no doubt that there will be at least one track to please fans.

The question now becomes not just whether the evolved sound and direction of Cage the Elephant works for the band, but if fans will accept it. Nevertheless, Thank You, Happy Birthday shows a clear progression and a refusal to sell out.