‘Rage’ toward sellout musicians abated with latest Cudi album

cudi
Not only has Kid Cudi’s name traveled far and wide since releasing ‘Man on the Moon: The End of Day’ a year ago, but his second release also proves to have excelled musically. ‘Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager’ is a solid sequel.[/media-credit]

Since launching his career just a year ago with Man on the Moon: The End of Day, Kid Cudi has existed in a cosmos of fame and success – public recognition of his R&B/Hip Hop musical talent accelerating at warp speeds. His time in the public eye has seen him land stellar ratings, and his latest, Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager, is something that deserves to be heard across galaxies.

Many musicians encourage fans to listen to their music over and over again, which makes “Don’t Play This Song” a curious song title. “Don’t Play This Song” features Mary J. Blige, but this would be hard to know because she never explicitly sings anything solo. Instead Blige is heard in the background or singing in unison with Cudi during the chorus.

Although it is curious why Cudi would hide a mainstream musician in the background, it does not take away from the strength of the song. The catchy tune and chorus mixed with a simple beat makes this song hard not to sing along to. Blige is heard again in “These Worries,” but this time takes the spotlight toward the end of the song.

Other mainstream artists such as Cee-Lo, Kayne West, GLC, Chip Tha Ripper and Nicole Wray also make appearances. However, no matter how popular or famous the featured artist may be, he or she is unable to outshine Cudi. This was extremely surprising in the song “Erase Me” featuring Kayne West, who has developed a reputation for tooting his own horn.

West does not come into the song until over two minutes in, and while he does an impressive job with his 30 second rap solo is unable to create a new sound that stands out from any of his other pieces. The listeners quickly become eager for Cudi’s smooth, relaxed vocals to return. Even during the music video the fans scream a little louder when Cudi starts singing again.

Cudi wears a coat of many colors, giving each song on the album a different sound. For every track there is at least one quality that makes it stand out from the rest. The overall tone of Man on the Moon II is very laid back; it proves to have a much lighter vibe than many other albums in the genre (read: Lil’ Jon), and might even manage to calm listeners’ moods more than “Alive” or “Solo Dolo” from his first album.

Cudi is able to tone it down in “All Along” to create a slow, serious song. Upon first listen, this song might not stand out, but after a couple of run throughs of the entire album, it will easily become a slow jam that one craves to hear again and again. Cudi’s voice transforms into a sound that really appeals to emotions. Its peaceful tone combines with lyrics that will reach into the heart of the coldest cynic. “I know I was meant to be alone, out there on my own,” appeals to anyone who has ever felt alone.

Most of the songs contain a subtle humor, such as the song entitled “Marijuana,” which cleverly happens to be four minutes and 20 seconds long.

Man On The Moon II: The Legend Of Mr. Rager can easily become an album played while just hanging out with friends. The overall tone is very relaxed and carefree. It will provide the perfect soundtrack for anyone looking to lighten the mood. Don’t take the song title, “Don’t Play This Song” seriously, because the whole album is worth listening to. Kid Cudi’s latest is a sophomore album that delivers with intergalactic intensity.

3.5 stars out of 5