‘Cardiology’ fails to pull heartstrings of potential fans

“Did you know if you were caught and you were smokin’ crack, McDonald’s wouldn’t even wanna take you back,” is one example of the lyrics that caused everyone to fall in love with Good Charlotte. Its lyrics were not only funny, but had a subtle ring of truth. The Young and the Hopeless was released back in 2002, and their newest, Cardiology, comes out today. Unfortunately, this one does not hold up to the reputation of those past. 

Good Charlotte’s bold messages are what made it stand out from the rest of the crowd, but it seems to have conformed by giving up this quirky side. “Sex on the Radio” is the most thematically bizarre song on the entire album, but who isn’t singing about sex these days? “Sex on the Radio” can easily be compared to “Sex On Fire” by Kings of Leon, “Sex on the Beach” by Vengaboys, or even “Sex on The Phone” by E-rotic. It is not so different from mainstream songs heard on the radio today.

Good Charlotte’s new lyrics also seem to mimic some of its older stuff. “Always see it on T.V. Or read it in the magazines,” are the opening words of the popular song “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous” from their 2002 album, and are nearly repeated again in Cardiology’s “Sex on the Radio” with “It’s every little thing from her head down to her feet. Out of the magazine and I see you on the TV.”
While those lyrics worked in the past, people are bound to expect something different. 

“1979” is one of the catchiest songs on the album and could very well become a fan favorite. Although the upbeat, fun tune is pleasing to hear, the message of the song is mildly sexist. With lyrics like, “Robyn always woke up early in the kitchen. She’d make the coffee black and large and then she’d kiss him” it is clear they are referring back to the old-fashioned stereotypes that put women in the kitchen and men at work.
Talking about how great things were in 1979 is a step back from their previous, much-loved rebellion that embraced the changing times. The Young and the Hopeless has the song “Riot Girl” which embraces the rebellious women of modern times. Things are completely reversed in “1979” by encouraging women to stay home and take care of their men because these were “the good years.” It’s possible that Good Charlotte is just being satirical here, but it seems that its message has not just changed, but completely turned against itself.

he album starts to slow down a bit with the songs “Standing Ovation” and “Harlow’s Song.” This is refreshing in that the listener can actually appreciate their vocal talent, while simultaneously being aware of what they are saying. Good Charlotte is no longer hiding behind the overwhelming instrumental sound that makes the music fun to dance to, but hides their voices. “Standing Ovation” focuses on the positive message of making the most of everyday, while “Harlow’s Song” goes back to the typical love song theme heard so much. It reminds the listener of just how unoriginal Good Charlotte has become. 

Overall, this album will not completely upset any loyal Good Charlotte fan because the sound is consistent. If a listener liked the band’s sound before, he or she will continue to enjoy its upbeat alternative punk music.
The major disappointment will lie with the album’s lack of originality. This music collection should be called Been Here, Done That, better capturing its essence. The song “Silver Screen Romance” puts it best with the lyrics, “We can stay like this forever.”
That is exactly what Good Charlotte is doing; so at least their lyrics are still honest.

2.5 stars