Artists bring ‘curb’ appeal to new CD

Matt Johnson and Kim Schifino of the duo Matt and Kim made quite a splash with their second album Grand; sweet sentiments channeled into a danceable punk-pop sound combined to make music that is sweet, edgy, and loud. On their newest album, Sidewalks, they continue in much the same sonic vein, but the ways in which they produce the music take a bit different turn.

Take the first single “Cameras.” The song begins with a tuba, a xylophone (or some sort of xylophonic instrument) and an auto-tuned voice. However, even with these eccentric components, the song still sounds like traditional Matt and Kim, especially when Johnson sings the irreverent chorus: “No time for cameras, we’ll use our eyes instead, no time for cameras, we’ll be gone when were dead.” These lyrics, as is typical of the band, are either goofy or intriguing, depending on whether or not you take them seriously.

The fact that Sidewalks is able to sound like Matt and Kim despite this musical experimentation is due in no small part to Johnson’s unique vocals. His voice, while not exactly gorgeous, sets the tone for songs like “AM/FM Sound,” where verses race and hum into a rousing sing-along chorus.

However, Matt’s voice also proves to be a shortcoming, especially on the slower songs. “Northeast” in particular would have worked better if it had been left off of the album entirely. Without Schifino’s characteristic pounding drums, Johnson’s slow wailing is a lot less likeable and makes one long for a singer who knows how to harmonize.

The fourth track “Red Paint” is also an example of a track where straying from a traditional sound results in a song of questionable merit. Scurrying electronica races in between the gaps to assault the listener’s ears and nugatory verses render the song entirely skippable.

Despite these bold failings, there’s still more to laud on Sidewalks than there is to lament. The penultimate song “Wires” is fittingly light and electric, incorporating jumping synths, twinkling bells and tough, thumping drums into a dancey jam that’s probably the best song on the album. Expect to hear this one on your television in the near future, in a commercial for the newest product that’s targeted at the coveted 18-to-34 year-old demographic. And “Block after Block” is a doozy of an album opener, with a head-nod inducing beat that sounds more like Southern Hip-Hop than Indie punk pop.

One of the reasons for the band’s forays into new instrumental territory is credited to producer Ben Allen who has worked the boards for such venerated groups as Gnarls Barkley, Deerhunter and hipster deity Animal Collective. Allen’s influence is obvious on Sidewalks in experimental songs like closer “Ice Melts,” where a digital buzz fills in the background of what would otherwise be a pretty traditional piano ballad. Effects like these work well, complimenting Matt and Kim’s sound without changing their direction or alienating their fans.

While Sidewalks has its weaknesses and is compromised a bit by new experiments in both style and instrumentation, it is a solid pop album, full of bouncy, sing-along songs that fans and new listeners alike are sure to appreciate.