On latest, T. Swizzle ‘speak’s up

Taylor-taylor
Taylor Swift’s newest album continues to cross genres with her perfected hybrid of country-pop complimented by her intelligent and sometimes cynical lyrics.[/media-credit]

Taylor Swift’s superstar status has been accumulating immensely since her first single released at the tender age of 16. “Tim McGraw” was just the first of many hits off the debut album that eventually went triple platinum. Followed two years later by yet another multi-platinum album, Fearless created a growing fan base of Swifty followers.

This fan base is spread across all genres of music. It isn’t quite country or quite pop, it’s a hybrid of both, making Swift the leader of this new genre of cross-over artists.

Embracing this cross-over sound Taylor Swift so easily and eloquently creates, she continues to add even more diversity. And in Swift’s newest album, Speak Now, her full capabilities are not only explored, but nailed. Her latest effort features vocal ranges, melodies and depth of song-writing skills that fans have not yet seen from Swift.

Taylor’s usual love stories and heartaches are still prevalent throughout the first singles released off the album though. Songs like “Mine,” “Innocent,” “Speak Now,” “Mean,” and “Back to December” have a predictable Taylor sound to them.

“Speak Now” the theme and title of the album is about interrupting a wedding ceremony to object the marriage.

Swift sings, “Don’t say yes, run away now/ I’ll meet you when you’re out of the church at the back door.” Though the song is sweet and cute, it’s predictable of Swift. However, this comfortable predictability takes a refreshing turn with “Back to December,” where listeners hear Swift’s complete scope.

“Back to December” is the first of its kind in that Swift apologizes and almost hints at having regrets. With lyrics that highlight the depth of her songwriting skills, “So this is me swallowing my pride/ Standing in front of you saying I’m sorry for that night/ And I go back to December all the time.” Swift slows down the pace with this song and many others. “Dear John,” a song supposedly written about her relationship with John Mayer (Swift has yet to confirm or deny this), has a unique country, acoustic guitar sound to it.

“Better Than Revenge,” which details another aspect of Swift’s life, is apparently written about Camilla Belle who is rumored to have stolen Swift’s man, Joe Jonas.

But whatever the reason behind the song, the sharp and cynical lyrics highlight the not-so-sweet side of Swift fans will enjoy. With lyrics like, “She’s not a saint and she’s not what you think/ She’s an actress, Whoa/ She’s better known for the things that she does on the mattress, Whoa,” this upbeat, entertaining song has an emo-alternative, rock feel to it with noticeable differences in percussion and guitar that offer an interesting departure for her sticky sweet demeanor.

“Better Than Revenge,” “The Story of Us” and “Sparks Fly” all have radio hit potential with their fun beats, sassy attitude and catchy, stick-in-your-head lyrics.

Speak Now emphasizes Taylor’s growth throughout the last two years of her life, including every up and every down in the public eye and those that happened behind closed doors.

Speak Now is proven not just to be a theme that resonates throughout the album – it’s an approach to Swift’s life. Her sophomore album, Fearless, along with her latest, clearly define Swift’s take on life in the spotlight.

Her raw talent and potential has culminated in this album, and whether you love her or hate her, the Swifty phenomenon is anything but over.

4 out 5 stars