Band gets listeners off the dance floor

belleandsebastianbwphoto
Belle & Sebastian compile a fairly solid string of soft, but still completely danceable, tunes. They also feature Norah Jones’ vocals on one track.[/media-credit]

Write About Love is not an album to bump and grind to on the dance floor, but an album that will cause many heads to bob up and down to the lighthearted tune. This indie-pop album is Belle and Sebastian’s eighth, and stands out from the rest with a more modern sound.

This could be due to guest singer Norah Jones who makes an appearance in “Little Lou, Ugly Jack, Prophet John.” Jones manages to make this song one of her own, which is good for her, but reflects poorly on Belle and Sebastian. Jones does not enter the song until a minute in, which prevents the listener in the nick of time from changing to the next tune. Lead singer Stuart Murdoch supplies a simple introduction with no catchy phrases or clever beats to maintain the listener’s attention. Jones comes in to save the day with her soulful voice and makes the song worthwhile.

Although Jones outshines Belle and Sebastian in “Little Lou, Ugly Jack, Prophet John,” the band maintains its reputation of having quality lyrics. Although the album title, Write About Love, implies a typical, clich? “mushy-gushy” or “lovey-dovey” message, the lyrics have merit. “Come On Sister,” is not only one of the songs you will catch yourself moving to, but is also one of the most well-written songs on the album. This song has a sound similar to Rooney, but is faster and more up-beat, with lyrics like “Have you ever said an honest word” and “tell me about your man and your hopes and the flaws of your life.” These are sincere lyrics that actually say something. A lot of popular mainstream music focuses more on the sound rather than the message, but Belle and Sebastian takes pride in both parts, which is a respectable quality.

Another smart move by Belle and Sebastian is starting its album with “I Didn’t See it Coming,” which sounds more “pop” than “indie.” The smooth, airy vocals of Sarah Martin draw the listener in to investigate the rest of the album. The sweet, lightly feminine sound is brought back strongly in the song “I Can See Your Future,” which is one of the most highly praised songs on the album. It will be a popular favorite among listeners. The feminine vocals mix better with the deep instrumental sound in comparison to the deep voice of Murdoch. The album is greatly benefited by having both male and female vocals.

Although the album starts strong, it does not end on such a high note. “Read the Blessed Pages,” is one of the shortest songs, and for good reason. Although the male vocals are pleasant to hear at the beginning, they are interrupted by what sounds like an irritating flute solo. It quickly changes the tone of this song from a beautiful piece to something you would hear in a bad musical; it does not fit in with the rest of the album. Belle and Sebastian could be praised for not creating an album with songs that all sound alike, or could be criticized for missing big time with this one.

Overall the album was a hit or miss. Certain songs are very worthwhile, and others are an acquired taste. Instead of purchasing the album as a whole, it might be better to just go online and pick and choose the ones found to be aesthetically pleasing. Belle and Sebastian’s album Write About Love is available in stores today. This up-beat, bubbly album has a free spirited “hippie” vibe that will turn any frown upside down. It is not music to be heard playing in the clubs on a Saturday night, but is definitely something that can be moved to.