After hectic March, Maragos to lay low with family on draft day

FB_No21_JS
After visiting with many NFL teams, Chris Maragos hopes to hear his name called on draft day.[/media-credit]

Since his last football game in late December, former UW free safety Chris Maragos has been busy working on improving his status for the NFL Draft. At the same time, Maragos has split his focus between football, school, planning a wedding and getting married.

After the University of Wisconsin held its Pro Day on March 10, Maragos’ life became far busier than even he could have imagined. But his time became less focused on training for speed and agility drills than on becoming a better football player.

As a part of its series on Maragos’ NFL Draft preparation, The Badger Herald sat down with Maragos this week to discuss his training over the last month.

Below is part five in a five-part series**

**Editor’s note: Due to unexpected conflicts that arose in Maragos’ schedule during the month of March, this series has been shortened from the original plan of eight parts. We apologize for the change in plans.

Badger Herald: It’s been more than a month since we last checked in with you after Pro Day, could you bring us up to date on what’s going on with your NFL Draft preparation?

Chris Maragos: Well, I spent Monday and the first part of Tuesday in Detroit visiting the Lions, which was a real good time. I got to see some of my old buddies including DeAndre Levy, so it was really good to see them and then I just got to visit. I flew down right after that to Jacksonville here and I’m just getting ready to visit here tomorrow with the Jaguars.

BH: Can you give us some more details on your first NFL visit with the Lions? How did it go for you?

CM: Well, first you do all your physicals and you go through the whole medical deal so they can make sure everything’s good in that regard. Then, you meet the coaching staff and you get to tour the facilities and they just kind of give you a run down of the organization and what they’re all about and everything like that.

It’s really extensive and it was a pretty cool deal. We watched film, and there were a couple other guys in from different schools as well, so it was great to meet them. Pretty much, you just get a feel for what is going on there and obviously they’re getting a feel for you too.

BH: Do you have anything else scheduled with other teams beyond the Jacksonville visit?

CM: Well, I also worked out with Kansas City a week ago, but tomorrow is actually the last day that anybody can visit any NFL team with it being a week before the draft starts.

BH: What has your agent told you, or what have you learned about your status in the visits?

CM: I think I probably get a better feel for it, now that I’m here, than my agent would. But all the feedback I’m getting is very positive. They all like the way that I play and they heard that I had a really good Pro Day.

They’re definitely excited about the possibilities in the future, and I am as well. But it’s just going to depend on the draft on what teams like me and what if they have a pick during or around the area of the draft where my stock is and if I’m the guy that they want to take at that time. It can go any which way, so I’m just waiting and hoping to get my name called.

BH: Do you have any plans already for what you’re going to do during the draft?

CM: I think just my wife and I and my parents and my brother are going to hang out for the draft. I don’t think we’re going to have a draft party or anything crazy like that. We’re just going to kind of lay low with this and just hang out with each other. We’re really just going to try and enjoy the weekend.

I don’t think we’re going to have a lot of people, because when you do that can get really crazy. And I don’t really want a lot of people around because you just never know what’s going to happen with the draft.

BH: But you do still plan on watching the draft even though it’ll just be with immediate family?

CM: Oh yeah, we’ll definitely watch it together at our house. We’ll just keep it real simple and enjoy each other’s company, just the five of us.