Breakfast lovers rejoice: Ian’s Pizza does brunch

I ate Sweet Potato and Kale pizza, Just Coffee Cooperative brew, “The Mifflin” oatmeal to explore new menu
Oatmeal%2C+sweet+potato+and+kale+
Meghan Horvath
Oatmeal, sweet potato and kale

I love oatmeal and I love Ian’s Pizza, but I never thought I’d eat oatmeal at Ian’s Pizza. Indeed, this is now an option for general consumption on Ian’s new breakfast menu. Saturday, Ian’s opened shop bright and early to introduce their take on breakfast to the world. With a steel-cut oatmeal and yogurt parfait bar along with nine breakfast pizza options, Ian’s Pizza crosses into new territory as a destination for the early birds as well as the night owls.

Given Ian’s affinity for concocting wacky flavor combinations, the intrigue was high for what ingredient pairings would make up their nine breakfast pies. Workers were spinning out Denver omelets, huevos rancheros and chorizo or roasted vegetable hash, all placed atop classic Ian’s crust.

For folks who crave an injection of something sugary for their morning fix, Ian’s slice of sweet apple cobbler pizza is a perfect substitute for the typical syrup soaked pancake or French toast. On my Saturday morning excursion, I indulged in the sweet potato and kale slice. From the trusty crispness of Ian’s crust and the generous layer of cheese to the flavorful additions of sweet potato and seasoned kale, this is a smashing pie.

Sweet Potato and Kale Pizza
Meghan Horvath/The Badger Herald

On top of the hearty handful of creative pizza varieties, Ian’s is also looking out for those with the more traditional breakfast options on their minds. They transformed their salad bar into an oatmeal and yogurt station to please any breakfast fanatic. With over 15 topping options — the likes of granola, dried and fresh fruit and a handful of different nuts — the flavor combinations are endless. As having so many options can be too overwhelming for many weary breakfast travelers, however, Ian’s has also created a list of their signature favorites.

With a base of Sugar River Dairy yogurt and house-made oats, it’s hard to go wrong. And however delicious the pizzas are, ‘The Mifflin’ Oatmeal I feasted on was what really had me swooning. In this signature flavor, Ian’s steel-cut oats are topped off with honey, fresh strawberries, toasted coconut, dried cherries, a splash of almond milk and — wait for it — chocolate chips. The heartiness of the oats acted as the perfect base for this delicious party of ingredients. The almond milk and honey added a delicate sweetness, while the strawberries contributed a refreshing taste. The crunch of the coconut and chewy bite of cherries were both just the right toppings. Add a sprinkling of melting, rich chocolate chips to this already beautiful (and ginormous) bowl and Ian’s has attained oatmeal nirvana.

“The Mifflin” Oatmeal
Meghan Horvath/The Badger Herald

Thank goodness Ian’s decided to team up with Just Coffee Cooperative for their breakfast days. This is coffee so great that even sugary latte addicts will prefer to drink it black. There is no bitterness to the roasts.

In time for the special 7 a.m. opening, an impressive line formed outside the doors of Ian’s State Street location with customers eager to experience this iconic pizza joint’s conception of breakfast pizza. In an offer posted on their Facebook page the day before the launch, Ian’s made the promise of awarding the first 50 customers an impressive collection of goodies. If the draw of pizza first thing in the morning wasn’t enough, all the free handouts just about did the trick. These lucky first 50 loyal patrons received free pizza for the summer. This translated into 16 free breakfast slice cards, as well as an Ian’s Pizza gift bag, a t-shirt and a coffee tumbler. The tumbler coincides with their new breakfast beverage option, Just Coffee Cooperative’s breakfast blend. This sweet deal coupled with the mass droves of people flocking to Capitol Square for the first farmers market of the season, fueled the success of Ian’s launch this weekend.

They’re only serving breakfast Saturdays from 7 to 11 a.m. at the state street location.