‘Paranormal Activity: Ghost Dimension’ brings unintentional laughs with predictable scares

Katie and Kristi’s story loses original film’s eerie magic with poor special effects, shoddy acting
Paranormal+Activity.
Blastr.
Paranormal Activity.

Editor’s note: The Badger Herald hosted the premiere of “Paranormal Activity: Ghost Dimension” Oct. 22. 

It’s acceptable if audiences exiting “Paranormal Activity: Ghost Dimension” can attribute their lapse in cinematic judgment to the good spirit of Halloween. But if they went into the sixth movie of a run-down series with optimistic expectations, they should seriously reevaluate their daily decisions.

For entertainment’s sake, some will pay to heckle at a poorly made mockumentary with predictable jump scares and overall blandness. Thankfully in the case of “Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension,” these folks make up the majority of the theater audience.

‘Goodnight Mommy’ crawls underneath audiences’ skins, into Oscar buzz

The film opens with the ending from “Paranormal Activity 3.” Dennis, a former character of the franchise, writhes on the floor before his back grotesquely breaks from an unseen force. Unfortunately, any initial level of cinematic quality dissipated after this scene, as it was the only to produce a stunned reaction from the audience.

This moment of genuine unsettlement moves into a new, second-rate scene comprising of young Katie and Kristi. Promptly, the demon-possessed children of the previous movies follow their grandmother to speak with a mysterious man, discussing the girls’ fate in fulfilling a supernatural “prophecy.”

The lousy acting in combination with insipid dialogue only drags down the introduction of an incredibly cliché storyline. Within the first five minutes, the movie is off to a poor start.

Following its cringe worthy kickoff, the film transitions into a light-hearted atmosphere, the conventional horror movie threshold. Ryan Fleege and his family unearth videotapes and a mysterious camera 25 years after the opening scene. Among these include eerie footage of young Katie and Kristi, though the Fleeges are unaware of their identities.

From Vilas to Hollywood: UW alum Steve Levitan says ‘story is everything’ in modern television

Fleege and his brother explore the camera’s ability to detect ghostly matter.  Strange occurrences transpire shortly following this innocent experimentation. As the malignant paranormal activity escalates, the family’s attempts to contain it produce noxious results.

While the playful banter within the movie’s first few scenes are intentionally and genuinely funny, the comedic facets of the film continue well into its tense dramatics — at least, the filmmakers’ attempt at tense dramatics. What strives to be terrifying reads as a parody of stereotypical ghost movies more than anything else. Additionally, the film’s tacky 3D style designates it all the more laughable.

“Now you can see the activity” — one of the promotional slogans for the film — reflects filmmakers’ hope that portraying the ghost as a physical entity would startle moviegoers into praise. Right?

Wrong. The special effects team initially illustrate the demon as a black, shapeless mass. Eventually, it evolves into a thrashing bulk trapped under a large blanket, emerging to reveal a ghoulish face. While this unpleasant imagery may frighten audiences for a shallow 10 seconds, it certainly does not measure up to the deeply unsettling effects of the original “Paranormal Activity.”

The franchise’s original depicted the ghost as an unseen entity, which generated a frighteningly realistic product for audiences, as if the mockumentary was, in fact, a documentary. This detour from cheap horror manifested in slamming doors and tiny footprint trails of flour — subtle, yet horrifying elements. Unfortunately, five movies later, the series loses this magic touch.

‘The Walk’ transports viewers above 1970s World Trade Center tightrope feat

If a group of cultured adults are truly in the mood to mock and cackle at one of the worst horror flops of the year, then they’ll have a splendid time. Otherwise, unsuspecting moviegoers should do their research and save themselves the remorse of losing $10 in the fiery pits of cinematic failure.