Art exhibit hopes to change public perception of incarcerated individuals

Curated by Dillon Gallery, showcase to debut April 8 at Winnebago Studios

For criminal justice reform advocate and journalist Patricia Dillon, “Faces of Incarceration: Changing the Narrative” is more than just a standard, everyday art exhibit.

Also the curator of the event, Dillon purposed the exhibit to change the way society perceives incarcerated individuals through the use of art and prose.

The opening reception of “Faces of Incarceration: Changing the Narrative” will be held at Winnebago Studios April 8 and will contain portraits of incarcerated and formerly incarcerated individuals accompanied by stories of the subjects written by Dillon. The images were created by a group of artists, including Fikrye Oz, Philip Salamone and Vera Nikiforov, among many others.

The idea for the event was born out of Dillon’s passion and personal ties to criminal justice system reform. After seeing how the system has negatively affected the lives of loved ones and acquaintances, she felt the need to take an active approach toward making a change.  

The main focus of the event is the discrimination found in the criminal justice system, Dillon said. She said because of Wisconsin’s disproportionate incarceration rates of men of color, she believes Madison is a prime location to start raising awareness.

“Wisconsin has the highest incarceration of men of color,” Dillon said. “But it’s also a national crisis.”  

The portraits displayed will be of a variety of different mediums and styles, ranging from realistic depictions to more abstract paintings. Each tells the true stories of currently or formerly incarcerated individuals, and works towards humanizing our preconceived ideas of what it means to be a criminal, Dillon said.

Along with the portraits displayed at the opening event, there will be also be performances by motivational speakers and slam poets starting at 7 p.m., including Sabrina Madison and Oscar Mireles. Live music will also be provided by Soulmen, a jazz band from East High School in Madison.

Through different art forms, Dillon hopes that a crucial message of tolerance will be clearly displayed for the audience.

The exhibition has received overwhelming praise from the community for challenging societal notions and giving a voice to the voiceless. Along with this, however, the upcoming event has raised a few concerns and criticisms from those who find the subject matter taboo.

But those involved in the event stand behind the benefit of holding this exhibit and fundraiser, and understand the important steps toward informing the public.

“If it doesn’t make people uncomfortable, then you’re not raising awareness,” Dillon said.

After the opening event at Winnebago Studios April 8 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., the portraits and stories will be displayed in Mickey’s Tavern until April 30.

Although the main objective is to spread understanding of the perceptions and discrimination surrounding mass incarceration, that is not all this event is doing to aid incarcerated and formerly incarcerated individuals. A portion of the proceeds earned by Dillon Gallery from this event will benefit families of the incarcerated and corresponding organizations.

The future of the continuation of “Faces of Incarceration: Changing the Narrative” is still unclear. But through collective work and fundraising for the focus of the event, it is making an effort to change the discourse surrounding disproportionate incarceration and also make a difference in people’s lives.

Because of this, Dillon hopes that this project does not end after its stint in Madison. Dillon is currently working with other activists and artists to potentially travel nationally with the project.

“My goal is always just to create awareness,” Dillon said.