Smoothies: Healthy way to save time, more Instagrammable than cereal

You can begin a healthy morning by taking a few minutes night before to prepare a healthy breakfast
Harry Quick

Do you find that your mornings are rushed and when they’re especially hectic, it throws off the rest of your day? I have! And I’m a freshman taking exclusively 100s level classes that are called “Principles of…” or “Introduction to…”.

Perhaps it’s just that I can’t manage time well, but I know I’m not alone in that I am not the morning person I wish I was.

Recently I bought a blender so I can make my mornings better. It’s worked so far since now I don’t have to worry about waking up my roommate when I’m preparing breakfast. And if I’m so rushed that normally I would have skipped breakfast, now I don’t have to.

All I have to do is open the fridge door, take out the smoothie I made the night before, and go. Smoothies have saved me time, are healthy, and are just as Instagrammable as Sunday brunch.

By spending about 15 minutes the night before making a smoothie, I don’t have to spend 15 minutes doing it in the morning. Minutes in the evening are like a marathon runner, they have stamina, they can go, go, go and just keep going on forever.

Madison shuts down drinking water well as public concern over hazardous chemicals rises

Minutes in the morning, on the other hand, rocket by like Usain Bolt. Doing it the night before may not save time mathematically speaking (you are still going to spend 15 minutes making a smoothie) but try it for yourself and tell me you don’t feel like you’ve saved buckets of time.

This concept, along with the fact that now you can grab a smoothie instead of spending time microwaving oatmeal or going out to eat, shows that smoothies are a non-morning person’s best friend.

I love being healthy because when I’m healthy at the start of the day, I can afford to be unhealthy later on. Considering I am always unhealthy in the evening — who can resist wings and pizza? — smoothies are the only thing left fighting for my waistline.

If you go through the trouble of making one, it’ll go through the trouble of improving your life. Here’s how to go about that.

19 things to do while waiting for your Spirit Airlines flight

Buy a blender. I got a $40 one called Ninja you can find here, but blenders can be found for as little as $20. Preferably get a blender with measurements on the side because this will save you the trouble of buying measuring cups and all that. Buy groceries and a cutting board, a knife and a spoon if you don’t have one.

Well, I suppose you only need the groceries if you’re fine with just tearing apart fruit with your bare hands like an ape, but frankly I don’t have the energy for that kind of thing, and it would make far too much of a mess.

Then get started with whatever recipe you can find — here is my favorite:

• 2 fl oz oats
  • 6 fl oz milk
  • 3 fat teaspoons of peanut butter
  • 4 pinches of spinach
  • ½ diced apple
  • ½ chopped banana
  • 2 teaspoons honey