Clocks in Motion brings ‘experimental sounds’ to Allen Centennial Gardens

In last summer Sunday show, band plays contemporary indie classical music
Courtesy of Allen Centennial Gardens

Before Sunday, I had no idea what the genre “contemporary indie classical music” was. I assumed it was a musical category someone just made up on the spot. Turns out, it is a genuinely interesting and unique approach to percussion music —
something everyone should listen to.

The creators of this newfound genre of music are a percussion quartet from Madison called Clocks In Motion. Formed in 2011, the group strives to “bring the world new music from living composers, classical repertoire from the 20th century, and experimental sounds.”

With their new ideas on how to break the traditional boundaries of music, the group is becoming a force to be reckoned with, serving as performers all over the country and delivering groundbreaking concerts that keep their audiences wanting more.

Yam Haus combines alternative feel, boy band fun in first visit to Madison

Clocks in Motion’s instrument set, many of which were actually made by the musicians themselves, consists of 88 steel pipes known as the Galvtone, a marimba known as the Quarimba, and six sets of Sixxen. Additionally, the utilized large metal microtonal keyboard instruments built from the Greek composer Iannis Xenakis’ 1979 masterpiece, Pleiades.

As the founder and music director, Sean Kleve put it, the group’s instruments “serve as a great resource and inspiration to the creation of new music.”

When I walked into the Allen Centennial Gardens, I saw four musicians at the front setting up some instruments accompanied by a small group of people sitting down, ready to enjoy the show. I assumed that it would be a quiet night with people politely clapping between sets. Man, was I wrong.

As the show began, one of the members, Matthew Coley, who happens to be an international musician stood up and introduced the group, explaining that they would be performing some traditional Eastern European folk music with a bit of their own twist.

Staple of east side community, Orton Park Festival returns for 53rd year

The performance was amazing, with people cheering between the sets and children dancing in front of the stage. From listening to the first few songs, ranging from tunes originated in Moldova to Ireland to Egypt, it showed how although the group has been around for seven years, with some just joining in 2016, it is clear how well they all work together and the incredible skills they all share.

As the group played their final songs, they announced the location of their new studio in Edgerton, Wisconsin, and the beginning of their tour, making Sunday’s performance the first of the season.

The Allen Centennial Gardens on UW’s campus offers free concerts on alternating Sunday evenings during the summer.