Cooking Sucks: Millennials, you can have avocado toast and a house someday too

Gone are the days of spending $11 at that bougie brunch joint you don’t even really like
Jonathan Sogin

This past week, I had the good fortune of making a trip to Costco. Costco has many benefits: samples (i.e. free lunch), bulk snacks, competitively priced produce, reasonably priced butcher items, cheap booze, etc. However, the time and effort required to get to the store and the slow pace by which I eat bulk items does not justify the $60 membership.

Recently though, I stumbled upon a loophole: Costco Cash Cards. Costco Cash Cards are essentially gift cards bought by members that allow non-members to shop in the store.  If you have a friend or family member that is a Costco member, give them the cash, ask them to buy you a card and spend the card as you wish. Once your card is depleted to less than $10, you can redeem it for cash.

Nevertheless, I bought a bag of six avocados for $1 a piece, much less than the standard $2-3 price that I often see in Madison grocery stores. Thus, this week we broach the realm of avocados.

Avocado toast with poached eggs

Buying avocado toast is why millennials can’t buy houses — maybe, but do you really need a house when you have avocado toast? You decide.

All jokes aside, if you like avocado toast with a side of a roof over your head, this column is for you.

This quick recipe delivers plenty of flavor with minimal effort, ingredients and time. Eat it for breakfast, lunch or anytime you crave an avocado crunch. Note: to get perfectly ripe avocados, buy unripe avocados ahead of time and place them in a brown paper bag on your counter — they will ripen in a couple days or so.

Cooking Sucks: When it comes to potato, apple and leek soup, some like it hot

Ingredients (1 serving, 10-minute prep)

• 2 slices of French bread
  • 2 medium eggs
  • 1 avocado, ripened
  • 2-3 oz. cheddar cheese
  • 2 tsp white vinegar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Sriracha

Directions:

1. Preheat a small pot of water on medium heat with vinegar and salt until the water is almost boiling. You don’t want there to be any boiling while poaching the eggs.
  2. Toast your bread.
  3. Halve your avocado and remove the pit.
  4. Make a swirling motion in the pot to agitate the water before dropping the eggs in.
  5. Very gently crack the eggs into the water, allowing them to rest for about 15 seconds (until a membrane develops around the outside of the white).
  6. After 15 seconds, gently swirl the water for an additional three minutes.
  7. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and allow to rest.
  8. Melt the cheese on the toast in the microwave for 45 seconds.
  9. Using a spoon, slice the avocado onto the toast then place the poached eggs on top and add salt and pepper to taste.
  10. Drizzle with Sriracha if you please.

Note: Poaching eggs is difficult, so if you fail the first few times, do not be discouraged. For additional egg poaching tips, seize the power of the internet.

Voila!

As always, hit me up with questions, comments or concerns,

Chef Sogs

[email protected]