Though the weather outside is cooling down, inside the kitchen we are heating things up.
Last week, we explored the possibilities of meal-prepped rotisserie chicken in the microwave and took a very pretty Instagram photo to share our success. This week we will graduate from the microwave to a combined approach of both microwave and stovetop cooking — strap in.
Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta
I truly practice what I preach and still have chicken remaining from last week, so I’ve decided to gift you another recipe to handle meal prepped chicken.
If you haven’t noticed by now, I really like tomatoes, basil and mozzarella — some would even call it an affinity for Italian flavors. For those of you who don’t like such a fantastic ingredient combination, sorry, but have no fear — next week will be something completely new.
Ingredients (1 person, 25 minute prep)
- Penne pasta — 1 cup
- Meal-prepped rotisserie chicken — 1/2 cup
- Heavy whipping cream — 1/2 cup
- Dry white wine (e.g. Pinot Grigio) — 1/2 cup
- Store-bought pesto — 3 tbsp.
- Salt — 1 tsp.
- Fresh mozzarella cheese
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Fill a small pot with more than enough water to cover the uncooked pasta, add the salt and heat on high until the water is boiling (~ five-seven minutes).
- While waiting for the water to boil, preheat a small sauce pan on medium heat (~two minutes). Add the pesto mix to the pan and stir around — if it begins to brown, add in a little olive oil and turn down the heat.
- Once the pesto is fragrant, add your chicken and sauté with the pesto mix for two minutes.
- Add your wine to the pan and reduce the mixture (boil off the water) to half.
- At this point your water should be boiling; add the pasta to the pot, wait for the water to boil again and cook on medium-low heat for about seven minutes. Make sure to stir around the pasta when you add it to prevent it from sticking together.
- Going back to the sauce — add the cream to the chicken, pesto and wine mixture and bring the heat to low. Add salt to taste.
- When the pasta is done cooking — it should be al dente, meaning firm to the bite but not crunchy — add it to the sauce and simmer the two together for a minute or so.
- Add everything to a microwave safe bowl, top the pasta with mozzarella cheese and microwave until the cheese is melted. Top your dish with fresh cherry tomatoes.
As always, hit me up with questions, comments or concerns.