Cashmere Cat proves mastery at producing, deejaying at Majestic

Dance on!
Cashmere+Cat
Flickr user Anna Stein
Cashmere Cat

Mifflin weekend started on Thursday night for many Badgers this year. With another weekend full of music and fun, it was nice to kick things off with Cashmere Cat at the Majestic.

He started his recent tour to promote the release of his new album, titled 9 (originally titled Wild Love, though the reason for the name change is unknown). The album features artists like Kehlani, Ariana Grande, The Weeknd and more. 

These features of pop artists reflect the fact that he’s been helping to shape the pop music genre since his emergence in professional production in 2006, under the alias of Final.

Magnus August Høiberg (Cashmere Cat’s real name) appeared to love the Madison crowd, and this wasn’t the first time he’s made a trip through.

His set began with a few popular tracks, following openers Jordan Marsh and Nina Las Vegas. Soon after, he got the crowd going while the lights began to produce a more intimate and involved scene.

Cashmere Cat performed his entire set in front of the main stage on crowd-level, with his large light rig filling the stage behind.

After his opening songs, he started performing music from his new album. The most popular one was “Trust Nobody,” which topped charts within days of its release.

The Flaming Lips bring good vibes, shit ton of glitter to Orpheum show

He moved smoothly into “Wild Love,” featuring The Weeknd and Francis and the Lights. It is hard sometimes to not marvel over the fact that he is a producer and still carries the professional skills to mix and perform well.

Commentary during the set was sparse — Magnus is a shy guy and even avoids interviews when possible. But, there were points in the show where the music would play while Cashmere Cat interacted with the crowd. This happened for songs like “Europa Pools (feat. Kacy Hill)” and “9 (After Coachella) (feat. MØ & SOHPIE).”

As he finished off the amazing set, there was room near the end of the show for people to let loose when he dropped a remix to XXXTentacion’s, “Look at Me.” Cashmere Cat is a multi-faceted artist.

Cashmere Cat has been making use of our large amount of access to technology and learning tools. This makes this creative Cat fun to see, and he has a wonderful fanbase because of it.

Now, with his debut solo album, it is obvious that he is serious about production, performing and deejaying. He closed the set with some older songs like “Kiss Kiss” and “Adore” before the final piece.

Cashmere Cat finished off with “Night Night (feat. Kehlani),” and left on cue without encore. This strange character is doing his own thing, but it’s obvious he is doing something right.