Fans will surely ‘Lykke’ Li’s sophomore electro-pop effort

lykke_li
Staying true to her Swedish roots, Li collaborated once more with fellow countryman Bjorn Yttling of Peter Bjorn and John.[/media-credit]

Lykke Li’s music is about as eccentric as her name, and her newest album, Wounded Rhymes, proves that she never ceases to impress. With a more melancholy sound than her previous debut album, Youth Novels, Li has the ability to mix the angry backbeat of bongos with a taste of the saccharine “doo-wop” songs of the 50s and 60s. This unusual combination gives so much creative flavor to each individual song that Li could potentially have a whole new genre of music to herself; “alternative” doesn’t really begin to cover all the variety in her music.

The opening track, “Youth Knows No Pain” uses keyboard sound effects, tambourine, bongos and the layering of voices to create a sound akin to the background music of an action movie. The lyrics speak to the ability for people to go back to what hurt them most for love, something much deeper than the sound of this action-packed track: “All the shame this crying game/ All my love I’ve been denied and/ All my love is unrequited.”

Li shows that she has the ability to produce more inspiring than angry, drum-laden tracks in “Unrequited Love.” This song is completely different than anything else on the album and has more of an indie-folk feel. It emphasizes much more of the 60s feel of her music and allows Li’s voice to shine through. 

Li’s voice is unlike any other artist, which allows her to produce a range of vocals throughout Wounded Rhymes. The layering of her voice, adding a much more faraway and echoing tone, helps to put emphasis on the instruments in the song, whereas tracks such as “Unrequited Love” focus on Li’s ability to be reserved and energetic at the same time. Her versatility substantiates that she is more than just a singer, but a bonafide artist.

“Get Some” definitely stands out as the most energetic and free-spirited track off the album. With lyrics such as, “Like a shotgun needs an outcome/ I’m your prostitute, you gon’ get some,” along with the accent of the rhythmic maracas and bongos, the song could potentially belong in “The Jungle Book” rather than in a track laden with sexual innuendos.

Part of Li’s appeal in the music industry is that she brings together such a distinctive blend of different genres of music. And though this blend is at times, a refreshing respite from all the other music she shares company with, it can sometimes hinder the intended underlying emotions of the song. 

This is particularly apparent in “Jermone” and “Silent My Song,” as clapping, drums and an assortment of keyboard sound effects muddle the overall emotions of the song itself.

But while much of the album shows off Li’s new confident beats, “Sadness is a Blessing” shies away from the more energetic tone of the Wounded Rhymes and is somewhat less mellow than that of “Unrequited Love.” With single chords reverberating from the piano, along with the faint sound of bells, Li proves yet again she can tackle more than just one genre of music with eloquence and ease.

Wounded Rhymes succeeds in creating an unusual mixture of music that probably would never have come together without the creativity and raw talent of Li. 

Although the lyrics can sometimes confuse the intentions of the song, Li still manages to twist the common conventions of alternative music into something all of her own.