‘Blueprints’ create winning Jay-Z CD

Jay-Z is one of those names in hip-hop that is set in stone. There is no getting rid of him, and those who might try would simply be called haters. With the digital release of his 11th studio album last Friday, The Blueprint 3 is the final installment in a trilogy that has been in the making for the past eight years.

With “D.O.A. (Death of Auto-Tune)” featured as one of the first singles, one might think that 39-year-old rapper would be making large statements and critiquing his genre, but The Blueprint 3 is more of a representation of the current state of hip-hop then it is a reflection on it. In fact, the song “A Star is Born” is basically a four-minute homage to the big names of rap of the last decade or so.

Jay used his Hollywood connections to fill the album with about 11 guest features. With less than a third of the album featuring completely solo verses and hooks, the Brooklyn native seems unconcerned with setting himself apart. Featured artists like Kid Cudi, Alicia Keys, Pharrell, Mr. Hudson, Young Jeezy and Rihanna end up contributing to what is nothing less than a high quality hip-hop studio album.

“Empire State of Mind,” with a piano track reminiscent of early work and an emphasis on love for New York City, shows Jay at his best; the vocals of Alicia Keys also help sets the track apart as one of the best on the album. “Run This Town,” which features Rihanna and Kanye West, is sure to be a club hit and receive lots of radio play while also receding from a listener’s memory within a few months. At the very least it is comforting to hear Kanye West rap with a bit of confidence again.

In addition to contributing his voice, West is featured heavily as a producer on the album, having mixed seven of the 15 total tracks. No I.D. also contributed to three of the beats produced by Mr. West, and the feel of the album reflects this. Songs like “Thank You” and “Run This Town” reflect West’s ability to produce catchy beats that Jay knows how to work with. Timbaland had, at one point, claimed to be producing the entire album, but only ended up contributing to three songs. It is interesting to note the contrast between Timbaland’s electronic focus when heard right after Kanye’s sampling of real instruments, especially with the latter’s use of vocals, horns, and piano. The difference is highlighted best with two tracks in sequence. “A Star is Born” and “Venus vs. Mars” set the pace at two different levels, and Kanye’s lavishness complements Timbaland’s minimal approach to balance the album between lighthearted pop and darker, more mysterious beats.

There is no terrible song on The Blueprint 3. It would be a surprise if Jay-Z allowed lackluster material to be included in an album hyped for over a year. All of the tracks are solidly produced and balanced with guest features, but there is a definite lack of songs that have legendary potential. There are no tracks like “Big Pimpin'” or “99 Problems,” that remind a listener of why Jay-Z is where he is. The latest from the man of the Marcy projects is by no means a bad album, but a listener with appropriately high expectations might be left wanting more.

4 stars out of 5.