Overcome hubris, try some hummus

Camping can be a real mixed bag when it comes to food. Sure, there may be some hot dogs on the first night and an occasional fish or two over the course of the trip, but sometimes it just comes down to Rice-A-Roni, pancakes and oatmeal for three days straight. Despite the regularity a diet like this might promote, it becomes boring even faster than an MTV reality dating show or Bob Saget’s renewed appeal.

I thought I was in for a run-of-the-mill meal schedule last summer at the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, but my mind was blown by one of the “surprises” unveiled to me by the awesomely cool people that were in charge of the food pack. Carefully wrapped in a thrice-sealed containment unit of plastic bags was a large volume of hummus. We grubbed that down with a bag of flour tortillas in one of the more memorably delicious afternoons in my life. I did have a taste for hummus before, but after that day I haven’t been able to get enough of it.

Hummus is a spread, dip or even a garnish with a thick, creamy texture. Its base formula is a blend of chickpeas, tahini (a sesame paste which, for spread purposes, should be made from husked seeds), olive oil, lemon juice or vinegar and garlic. Recipe variation has proliferated greatly over the long history of hummus’ existence, resulting in the inclusion of spices like cumin and paprika, depending on regional taste.

Iraqi recipes sometimes call for dried dates to create a hummus for desserts. Turks will eat it with meat, and in some Palestinian areas, mint is even used. The ethnic differentiation marks hummus by its versatility as well as its variation.

Hummus is quite tasty when spread on pita bread, roti, nan or really any flatbread (including regular bread that you sat on, though not as good). It also serves as a great ranch-alternative dip for veggies. My personal favorite use of hummus is in a nice vegetarian sandwich (for when I’m feeling pizza-roll guilt). Spread the hummus semi-thickly over some thick, soft slices of bread and add slices of tomato and cucumber, a mild white cheese (Havarti, Provolone, Muenster, Brie) and top with spinach or lettuce and alfalfa sprouts. This can also work with a wrap and, for the extra adventurous, the addition of some avocado slices and sun-dried tomatoes can complement the sandwich with a savory sweetness and texture. Taking the high protein content of chickpeas into account, even the staunchest anti-vegetarian carnivores like myself can appreciate the fullness achieved by such a hearty vegetarian sandwich.

A westernized but delicious form of hummus also comes from one of my favorite celebrity chefs: Gordon Ramsay. The notable differences between this and a more traditional recipe are the inclusions of roasted red peppers and pine nuts. The peppers add a sweet, tangy zest to the spread while also complementing the texture with some chunkiness. The pine nuts also mix with the garlic and heighten the composition’s savory nature. Pretty much anything can be added to hummus, though admittedly with varying results. For experimenting foodies unafraid of bad breath and blenders, I suggest gingerly adding ingredients with high potential for success. Start with the most basic recipe available, and tweak from there. The flavor of the chickpeas is at the heart of hummus appeal, so too much deviation can result in a thick and smelly mess. Stick to the basics, but don’t be too afraid to add something you might like, and look for recipes including potential ingredients as well. The possibilities for success are finite while the possibilities for disaster are virtually limitless, so be careful.

On one final note, I’d like to dispel any confusion over American recipes that call for garbanzo beans. Don’t let the wording fool you; chickpeas and garbanzo beans are one in the same. The only question curious consumers must ask themselves is, “Which is more fun to say?”

Alex Truong is a junior majoring in economics and is a vocal advocate of garlic. Questions, concerns and comments can be sent to [email protected].