Stevens creates pleasant ‘Illinois’

It's not every day that concertgoers are able to see their favorite musician perform dressed as a bird. Of course, it's not every day that the musician is accompanied by 14 instrument-wielding butterflies. Then again, Sufjan Stevens is no average performer. Stevens, sporting bird wings and the moniker Majesty Snowbird, made his Pabst Theatre debut to a sold-out house Sept. 25.

Already well known for his often strange and unpredictable stage wear, Stevens' popularity has increased since his 2005 album Illinois received rave reviews from critics of all genres. In fact, the performer's folksy orchestral works have been featured on many popular soundtracks. Most recently, the major motion picture "Little Miss Sunshine" featured "Chicago" from Illinois and "No Man's Land" from The Avalanche, Stevens' 2006 release of outtakes and extras from Illinois. It's no wonder that Stevens — along with a 14-piece orchestra dressed in butterfly wings and temporarily named the Magical Chinese Butterfly Brigade — has sold out every single one of his North American tour dates.

Opening for Stevens, and also a member of his orchestra and cheerleading troupe, the Illinoisemakers, was My Brightest Diamond, lead by vocalist Shara Worden. Just as her name implies, Worden, a classically trained opera singer, shone with her melancholy tunes about everything from childhood hiding places to best friends. Worden is more than a voice, though, and quickly proved that to the audience with her expert guitar skills on "Dragonfly" and "Something of an End" from her 2006 release Bring Me the Workhorse. The highlight of Worden's set, however, was an untitled, bluesy piece dedicated to Milwaukee fans that especially displayed Worden's amazing vocal range and haunting clarity.

While My Brightest Diamond awed with their set, audience members were anxiously awaiting the Stevens' performance. From the moment Stevens strummed the first chord of the evening on his acoustic guitar to open with "Sister," the audience went crazy with excitement. That intensity never ceased as he quickly followed up with "The Transfiguration," just one of Stevens' many faith based songs. Both tunes, along with "All the Trees … " and two other songs from his 2004 release Seven Swans, showcased Stevens' instrumental ability on the piano, banjo and acoustic guitar — just a few of the many instruments Stevens plays.

In songs from his two state-themed albums, 2003's Michigan and 2005's Illinois, Stevens incorporated the entirety of his 14-piece orchestra into his performance. On the lively tune "Oh Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head!" Stevens' vocals soared above and contrasted with the orchestra in this tribute to his hometown. Likewise, Stevens' soft, boyish voice was the true highlight of "Casimir Pulaski Day," "The Predatory Wasp … ," "John Wayne Gacy Jr." and "Jacksonville." Without an apparent effort, Stevens sang with a piercing tenderness and honesty that gave audience members chills and left many amazed by his natural vocal range.

Stevens also surprised his audience with the performance of three currently unreleased songs, including "That Was the Worst Christmas Ever" from his soon-to-be-released boxed set of Christmas songs. "The Lord God Bird," about a formerly extinct, but rediscovered woodpecker from Arkansas, hinted at Stevens' next project in his 50-state project, an attempt to create an album for each of the states. Stevens' fans, however, should most await the release of "Majesty Snowbird," a true work of art with its overlapping vocal patterns from Stevens and Worden and powerful, pulsing orchestral arrangement.

With its driving drum beats and expertly arranged accompaniment, Stevens' attempted to close the evening with undoubtedly one of his finest works, "Chicago," surrounding the audience in a musical farewell hug. Fortunately for fans, Stevens was not finished for the evening as he re-emerged on stage after a standing ovation and awarded his audience with "To Be Alone With You" and "That Dress Looks Nice On You" from Seven Swans before finally bidding his audience a bittersweet goodbye.

True, Sufjan Stevens is not your conventional performer — he even provided the third floor audience members with free copies of The Avalanche because he was sorry they were not able to see the projection screen behind the stage. Not many rock bands would do such a thing, but not many rock bands would aspire to create an album for every state in the United States either. Stevens has already proved his talent on albums Michigan and Illinois. Maybe Wisconsin will be next. We can only hope.