Walker announces staff changes for Department of Administration, Public Service Commission

Secretary of Department of Administration considered to be second most powerful in the state government
Hayley Cleghorn

Gov. Scott Walker announced a new secretary for the Department of Administration Monday.

Last week, Scott Neitzel resigned from his position as senior vice president for Madison Gas & Electric. Neitzel will be replacing Mike Huebsch, the current secretary. The Capital Times said secretary of Department of Administration is considered the second most powerful position in state government.

Neitzel said in a statement that public service was a great honor and that he was humbled by Walker’s selection.

“We will continue to build upon the reforms that grow our economy and increase the efficiency of state government,” Neitzel said.

Huebsch will now be the commissioner to the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin. Huebsch said in the statement that he would work hard to ensure a smooth transition as he starts his new position.

Ellen Nowak has been appointed as a chairperson for the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin. The PSC sets rates for public utility operating in Wisconsin. The chairperson is appointed by Walker for a two-year term, effective March 1. Nowak said in a statement that she looks forward to the challenges and will help advance sound energy policy that “benefits the state of Wisconsin and its ratepayers.”

Walker said in the statement he wanted to welcome everyone into their new positions and their leadership and professionalism helpful for building Wisconsin into a more free and prosperous state.

“As we work to reform government, I am confident we have selected great partners to join our efforts to build a government that is more effective, more efficient and more accountable to the public,” Walker said.