Bus Pass Program cost will not see immediate increase in cost

Despite uncertainty about the future of the city transportation system, the University of Wisconsin will not need to pay more for student bus passes for the next fiscal year.

Associated Students of Madison Bus Pass Program Coordinator Margaret Bergamini presented the ASM bus pass budget at $4,030,300 to the Student Services Finance Committee during Monday’s meeting.

The program’s budget hearing was initially scheduled to take place in February, but questions were raised about how the budget repair bill would impact Madison Metro’s federal funding. At the time, the program did not have enough information to present an accurate budget.

SSFC Chair Matt Manes said it became clearer throughout the past month ASM was going to be able to re-sign its contract with Madison Metro without an immediate increase in cost of the program.

Bergamini said even though they anticipate the contract between ASM and Madison Metro will be renegotiated, the renegotiated terms would not go into effect until the 2013 fiscal year.

“Madison Metro’s funding would seem to be okay right now,” Bergamini said.

Bergamini said the proposed state budget contains large cuts in state transit subsidies. The amount the city can allocate to support the system is also in jeopardy, Bergamini said.

“We are going to do our best to weather the storm,” Bergamini said. “But should these proposals not be amended, I don’t doubt that we will be looking at significant service cuts, increases in fairs, or both.”

Manes said the issue did not pose an imminent threat, but ASM would have to reevaluate whether the cost of the program is worth maintaining it if the cost would increase drastically.

However, Manes said he did not foresee the cost ever reaching the threshold for ASM to consider revoking it.

“It is such a valuable program to campus that I can’t imagine that we would get rid of it,” Manes said.

The committee will make a final decision about the budget Thursday.

Adventure Learning Programs also appealed to the committee to amend their budget, which had been determined by the committee earlier this year. The group recently discovered they could no longer use the ropes course they currently use and found another course that is more expensive.

The group asked the committee to amend the amount they had allocated to the ALP’s Rope Course Program to $7,100, increasing the initially approved amount by $4,100.

SSFC representative Sarah Neibart said the group has proven to be fiscally responsible in the past and the committee should approve the group’s request so it can continue to serve the student body.

The committee approved the budget amendment and the ALP’s total budget came to $151,935.01.