Top Five Highlights of the Fall Semester

From Rafael Gaglianone’s clutch kick, to upsetting No. 1s, to conference championships
Jason Chan

There were many memorable highlights of the Fall 2015 semester for the Badgers across all sports. The Badger Herald has narrowed it down to our favorite five highlights.

1. Gaglianone’s kick beats Nebraska

Rafael Gaglianone’s redemption came at a perfect time to save his team and keep the Badgers’ dreams of reaching Indianapolis alive at the time. Gaglianone lined up for a 46-yard attempt from the right hashmark with nine seconds remaining, just one minute and 17 seconds removed from a 39-yard miss.

This time, Gaglianone converted, putting Wisconsin up 23-21 and temporarily taking UW’s season off life support. The thrilling moment capped off a final-minute, game-winning drive and secured the Freedom Trophy would stay in Madison.

2. Men’s hockey defeats North Dakota

For all of the disappointment the men’s hockey program had to deal with last season, winning just four games, signs of improvement became evident Nov. 6. The Badgers took down then-No. 1 North Dakota 3-1.

After falling behind seven minutes into the game, Wisconsin scored three unanswered goals, with two coming in the second period. UW hunkered down in the defensive down and watched the seconds tick away toward victory as it took out the top-ranked team in the nation.

3. Women’s hockey snaps Border Battle losing streak with sweep

For all of the success the women’s hockey program at UW has had, Minnesota has been its kryptonite. Four years had passed since the last time Wisconsin beat Minnesota. That all changed Dec. 4, when sophomore forward Annie Pankowski redirected a puck from in front of the net into back of the net with 55 seconds remaining in overtime.

Quite the dramatic way to snap the losing streak.

UW followed that effort the following day with a 3-1 win at LaBahn Arena, establishing itself at the top of the WCHA standings and in the middle of a historic winning streak.

4. Volleyball advances to third-straight Sweet 16

Since Kelly Sheffield took over the helm of the Wisconsin volleyball program three seasons ago, consistency has been a staple of the team. The Badgers have finished in the top four of the Big Ten in all three seasons. Currently, UW is on a 14-match winning streak.

The Badgers advanced to the Sweet 16 Dec. 11 against No. 11 Florida by beating Iowa State in straight sets in front of a packed and hyped up UW Field House. The raucous atmosphere that night was symbolic of the home court advantage UW has had all season.

5. Women’s soccer wins share of Big Ten title

For all of the troubles the women’s soccer team endured during the beginning of the regular season, it showed tremendous fight and grit to emerge as one of the top teams in the Big Ten, earning a share of the Big Ten regular season title.

The Badgers won eight straight matches on their way to the shared title, which came a season after the team won the Big Ten Tournament.