New apartment development on West Washington is not prison-like enough

Adding dementors from Harry Potter and Alcatraz-style watchtower would make it even better
Courtesy of flickr user Melissa Robison

On the 400 block of West Washington, a new apartment complex is being built, helping to alleviate the low vacancy rates on the isthmus. But some people are worried about the aesthetic appeal.

Potential West Washington apartment building tests city’s development plan

During a neighborhood meeting, some expressed concerns over the proposed development, going as far to say the building “looks horrendous, like a prison.” That, frankly, is not true. This complex, with some of my own personal additions, will epitomize class and beauty.

The plans, as of now, make this apartment complex look ordinary, and that’s the problem; people don’t want ordinary. To ease the mind of the community, I would suggest additions that move this complex to something far from prison-esque.

Some of the greatest architectural achievements have a bold, ominous look to them. Alcatraz, Rikers Island and Azkaban obtain this look while being completely welcoming. I would suggest that 400 W. Washington St. take a segment from each of these notorious places to appear friendlier to the Madison community. Take the amicable watchtower from Alcatraz, the community living from Rikers and helpful security dementors from Azkaban.

Part of the concern with this complex is it will take away from the community of the 400 block. Yes, this project will destroy six Mifflin-style houses, but it will replace this culture with a whole new one. Every resident will have a mandated one hour of “outdoor time” where residents can take advantage of the provided basketball courts while the complex’s security guards closely watch them. Kinship will be created during this hour.

Security is always an issue when it comes to housing. No one wants an unwanted person coming into their living place. That’s why this new apartment is going to have state of the art protection. Imagine how safe you would feel with a 10-foot, barbed wire fence surrounding your building, cameras scouring the premises and a flood light in the watchtower to monitor people walking around at night.

If someone wants to object to the new apartment complex because they want to keep Mifflin-style housing and the culture that comes with it, that’s OK.

But dismissing the complex because it “looks like a prison” is unfair and wrong. All of the changes I’ve proposed to the apartment have not only made living better for potential residents, they’ve made it less like a prison. I mean, who would think that barbed wire fencing or outdoor time or security dementors are characteristics of prison?

Aaron Reilly ([email protected]is a freshman majoring in comparative literature and Russian.