Madison School District defends actions toward previous employee

Members of the Madison School District Board of Education defended their response to a former employee’s resignation five years ago following a recent investigation into charges filed against the employee for child sex crimes.

Christopher Nelson, superintendent of the New Holstein School District, resigned from his position as athletics coordinator for Madison School District in 2005 after authorities found pornography on Nelson’s work computer.

An undercover detective arrested Nelson in Milwaukee last week after the detective posed as a 15-year-old boy Nelson had arranged to meet.

Madison Board of Education member Ed Hughes said the board is not overly concerned with the new allegations against Nelson.

“Our reaction isn’t important – it’s a non-factor here,” Hughes said. “He’s been gone over five years from the district.”

The district has no typical disciplinary process to be carried out when an employee is discovered viewing pornography at work. Hughes said each individual case is different depending on varying circumstances.

Officials still do not know whether the Madison School District released any references for Nelson to subsequent employers following his resignation, Hughes said.

“The staff member in human resources who is responsible for references for administrators does not have any record or recollection of any contact for a reference [for Nelson] by anyone at any time,” Hughes said.

State Rep. Steve Kestell, R-Elkhart Lake, spoke out against a lack of policy for school employees found with pornography. Kestell said there should be a more explicit disciplinary process for employees who engage in inappropriate behavior at work.

“We are still evaluating current law and will be considering input from many sources before making a determination on what specific changes are needed,” Kestell said.

Kestell said he plans to put the student interests in highest regard when considering these changes. He said he is concerned about the charges Nelson faces and what could have been done to prevent the situation at hand.

The recent situation in New Holstein is only one example of a school district being blindsided and students being put in harm’s way in cases where it could have been prevented if better information was made available to employers, according to Kestell.

“I think the goal should be to put the safety and welfare of students first,” Kestell said. “Parents have had enough and the students deserve better.”