Doyle travels to Israel

Gov. Jim Doyle, along with many Wisconsin government and business leaders, are in Israel this week on a trade mission.

According to a statement released Monday by Doyle’s office, the trip will focus on the water technology industry and help build relationships with potential customers and distributors.

Wisconsin is a hub for water technology and a $10.5 billion industry in the state, according to Doyle spokesperson Lee Sensenbrenner.

“When you have a $10.5 billion industry that has a market around the world, it is a tremendous opportunity to showcase businesses, increase trade and find ways to grow jobs,” Sensenbrenner said.

Sensenbrenner also said the trade mission is funded by both the state and private businesses.

Department of Commerce spokesperson Tony Hozeny said the trip allows businesses to see and assess markets firsthand. He also stressed the importance of meeting with potential customers and making the state visible to nations around the world.

“Export trade depends on relationships you build today,” Hozeny said. “We’re located in the middle of the United States; we don’t have the visibility as Los Angeles or New York, so this helps focus people’s attention on Wisconsin and what we have to offer.”

Hozeny also said the state is trying to create a water cluster in Milwaukee, and Israel is the world leader in water technology.

According to Doyle’s statement, the group will attend the International Water Technologies, Renewable Energy and Environmental Control Exhibition, the largest water technology trade show in the world, which began this morning in Tel Aviv and will run through Thursday.

However, some Republicans, including Kristin Ruesch, spokesperson for the Republican Party of Wisconsin, do not approve of Doyle using state funds to pay for the trip and say the governor should focus his attention on more important issues.

“Gov. Doyle has already signed almost $5 billion in new taxes into law this year alone,” Rusech said in an e-mail to The Badger Herald. “The governor’s first priority should be repealing the onerous taxes that have pushed so many Wisconsin jobs out the door.”

However, Sensenbrenner said the trip does address an important issue for the state and will help further its economic relations with Israel.

“It’s a chance for Wisconsin water companies and water experts to collaborate,” Sensenbrenner said. “It’s a great opportunity to strengthen those ties and strengthen the economy.”