Bill ensuring healthy food stamp options passes

A bill that would ensure most food stamp benefits go to healthy food passed the state Assembly in a bipartisan vote Tuesday, despite Democrats raising concerns about the proposal not being realistic.

In a 68-26 vote, the Assembly approved the bill from Rep. Dean Kaufert, R-Neenah, that would make at least two-thirds of the state’s FoodShare program go to a list of healthy food. Kaufert pushed the federal government to approve his plan, noting first lady Michelle Obama shares his wishes to improve nutrition.

“Let Wisconsin be the test case; let us lead the way,” Kaufert told reporters before the Assembly session. “We’re not being punitive. With your money, you can buy what you want. With taxpayer money, there are guidelines.”

Although most Democrats said they supported the bill’s intentions, they raised concerns over its implementation and its unclear specifications, which includes its unknown fiscal impacts.

Rep. Andy Jorgensen, D-Fort Atkinson, said the Legislature’s Certified Public Accountants Caucus, the group of Republicans that uncovered the University of Wisconsin System reserves, should be concerned about the unclear costs to the state. 

Some grocers also testified against the bill, as they were concerned about how much it would cost them to implement the changes, Rep. Penny Bernard Schaber, D-Appleton, said. 

Kaufert responded, however, that he takes grocer concerns seriously but their costs would be reduced by improved technology. He also said most grocers recognize millions of food stamps dollars are spent on junk food and soda.

“Privately, they’ll tell each and every one of you there is a problem out there,” Kaufert said.

While Kaufert said the bill might not be the exact solution, he said he is open to changes later on and wants to ensure taxpayer money goes to what it is intended for.

Rep. JoCasta Zamarripa, D-Milwaukee, called the bill “press release politics” that would do nothing. 

Another Milwaukee representative, Democratic Rep. LaTonya Johnson, said some neighborhoods in urban areas have few healthy options available. Rep. Janet Bewley, D-Ashland, said that is also the case in rural areas and that the bill would harm poor families.

“This bill would force children to go hungry,” Bewley said. “If you don’t understand that, then you don’t understand what it’s like to be poor.”

Kaufert’s bill originally called for all FoodShare benefits to go to healthy foods, although he changed it to the two-thirds level after hearing legislators’ concerns.

Another bill the Assembly passed increased fines for traffic violations around sanitation workers, similar to the increased fines in construction areas. Rep. John Jagler, R-Watertown, introduced the bill after one of his constituents lost a leg in an accident.

In the Senate, senators voted 28-5 to penalize food stamps trafficking, a bill that passed the Assembly last month and will head to Gov. Scott Walker’s desk.

“By putting in place penalties for the trafficking of these benefits we can work to deter these actions and ensure that those individuals and families actually in need of assistance are receiving the necessary resources,” Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, said in a statement.