Walker approves review of electrical safety code

Building code safety requirements may not retain their current state after a recent review of their use.

On June 29, state officials approved the Department of Safety and Professional Services to review three devices that are part of the current building code and to potentially make them optional instead of a requirement.

Currently, builders are required to install arc-fault circuit interrupter protection, ground-fault circuit interrupter protection and tamper resistant outlets in both new homes and during remodeling.

According to Jerry Deschane, executive vice president of the Wisconsin Builders Association, the reviews will be conducted because DSPS is skeptical as to whether or not these devices even serve their purpose of keeping others safe.

Cullen Werwie, spokesperson for Gov. Scott Walker, said the governor has campaigned on getting government out of the way by ensuring that regulations are science-based and predictable.

“The change to this rule simply reflects concerns that were raised to DSPS by individuals who construct homes,” Werwie said in an email to The Badger Herald. “Instead of mandating the use of these products, this rule change would make it optional.”

According to Deschane, Walker is not planning any actual changes to the electrical safety code, but instead is only proposing a review process to ensure the reliability of three main components.

“Walker is not proposing any sort of changes be made to the electrical safety code,” Deschane said. “This is not a change; it is the beginning of a process. There have been complaints across the state about the reliability of the AFCI, GFCI and the tamper-outlets.”

Hearings for public input and information will be scheduled before any changes are made.