Thompson gears up for Senate run

Former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson filed his paperwork for candidacy for the U.S. Senate Tuesday, bringing him one step closer to running in the election, according to an email Thompson sent to supporters.  

Thompson served four terms as governor of Wisconsin, during which time he initiated the BadgerCare program and Wisconsin Works welfare and school choice programs.

Thompson outlined his plan to reduce federal tax rates in the email sent to supporters.

“I will continue to fight for Wisconsin taxpayers … and I will fight against tax increases and further reckless spending,” Thompson said in the email.

Thompson said that he has signed the Taxpayer Protection Pledge, a promise not to raise taxes.

Thompson brought to attention that while in office he cut state spending by $287 million, cut income tax rates three times and cut taxes a total of 91 times.

In addition to cutting taxes, Thompson Senate campaign spokesperson Darrin Schmitz said jobs are a number one priority, saying Thompson does not believe heavy government intervention is a viable means to obtaining this goal.

“[Thompson] believes that the best way to create jobs is through limited government,” Schmitz said. “[He is joining the race because he] can’t stand on the sidelines and watch America continue to erode.”

During a Tea Party rally at the state Capitol on April 15 of last year, Thompson announced he would not run for Senate in 2012, Schmitz said.

Schmitz said, if elected, Thompson will work for the working class with “bold reforms and innovative ideas,” and would stay consistent with his political views while he was the governor of Wisconsin. He said Thompson believes in creating jobs and improving the economy with “private sector solutions and market based initiatives.”

Also running for Senate from the Republican Party are former Rep. Mark Neumann, Assembly Speaker Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon, and state Senator Frank Lasee, R-De Pere, who recently filed paperwork for his candidacy.

Rep. Tammy Baldwin is the only Democratic candidate running in the election to replace Democrat Herb Kohl, who is retiring in 2012, University of Wisconsin political science professor Charles Franklin said.

Franklin said Thompson’s entry into the race marks the entrance of a dominant figure in the history of Wisconsin politics.

“[Thompson’s] stature in Wisconsin politics makes him the frontrunner,” Franklin said. “Had he been clear he would run in 2010, he would have cleared out the field.”

Franklin pointed out that Thompson is more moderate and traditionally conservative, and said if Thompson became the nominee, he would likely attract more moderates and Democrats who voted for him in the past.

However, Thompson’s departure as the state entered a structural deficit, Franklin said, has slightly tainted his legacy.

Thompson will continue to organize his campaign and seek to gain support in the state, Schmitz said. After his filing with the Federal Election Commission Tuesday, he will make a formal announcement about his candidacy in the future.