Businesses destroyed in ’08 flood to receive federal recovery funds

Businesses in four Wisconsin counties and one village are set to receive grants to help repair lasting damages caused by the severe flooding that overtook parts of Wisconsin in summer of 2008, Gov. Scott Walker announced Tuesday.

Nearly $5 million in federal Community Development Block Grants-Emergency Assistance Program funds will go to more than 19 business in Columbia, Milwaukee, Jefferson and Sauk Counties as well as the Village of Hustisford. The grants are designed to provide relief to communities with populations of less than 50,000 by expanding economic development opportunities.

“Wisconsin’s people and businesses have shown spirit and determination in rebuilding their communities after the severe floods of 2008,” Walker said in a statement. “This federal assistance will help communities repair damage and businesses recover and grow.”

Jefferson County is receiving $1.4 million and half will go to relocating the River’s Edge Market, a meat market and catering service in Jefferson, Wis., owned by the Scott and Linda Fischer family.

Scott Fischer said the flooding in 2008 left the market’s exterior intact, but the six feet of water that rushed inside destroyed the coolers and freezers and the Fischer’s had to gut the entire building and rebuild completely – costing $300,000.

He said he was happy to receive $700,000, but the money came with the stipulation he had to move the market out of the flood plain.

“I don’t know if [the grant money] is going to make it easier. It would create money so I’m able to move,” Fischer said. “But it’s going to cost me a lot more than $700,000 to move me into a new building.”

He added he hoped everything would work out and the new facility would be nice for his customers.

Columbia County, just north of Madison, will receive $1.39 million. The money will be spread across 13 businesses who applied for assistance after the flood.

Columbia County Economic Development Corporation Executive Director Nancy Elsing said the announcement is very exciting.

“If floods happen again, getting these funds would allow businesses to be prepared and not face as much harm,” Elsing said. “Businesses could start to maybe expand, maybe hire.”

She added the application for the funds involved a lot of hard work for county officials.

Milwaukee and Sauk Counties and Hustisford received $2.25 million as well to be used for repairs to businesses and floodwalls.