Final gubernatorial debate lets candidates address each other

Gubernatorial candidates Scott Walker and Tom Barrett were given the opportunity to directly ask each other a prepared question during their final debate in Madison on Friday, though both candidates prefaced their question with sharp attacks.

Barrett, the Democratic Milwaukee mayor, asked his Republican opponent why the people should elect him given his poor performance as Milwaukee County executive.

“As county executive, you’ve had several years where you’ve had budget deficits. You’ve borrowed $400 million for your pension fund…and you ended your economic development initiative in 2008 at the height of the recession,” Barrett said. “Why should the people in the state believe that you will bring the real reform that is necessary for the state”?

Walker responded that he inherited a pension scandal from his predecessor, Tom Ament, and his reforms actually saved the county money over time, much like refinancing a home.

Walker added his plan for reforms have won him numerous endorsements from newspaper editorial boards across the state, as he is offering real plans and not just a string of attacks like Barrett.

In the vein of Barrett’s negative campaigning, Walker used his question to ask Barrett whether or not he would actually work together with Republicans to bring the state back on track.

“We all know that we face an economic crisis in this state…and a budgetary crisis. It’s going to take Democrats and Republicans working together to solve that crisis,” Walker said, pledging his bipartisan work whether he is elected Nov. 2 or not. “All I’m asking tonight is simply are you willing to make that same commitment”?

Barrett replied that he has a well-known record for working together with others to solve problems, adding citizens do not care if a Republican or Democrat solves their problems, so long as the problems are solved.

Barrett also used the county budget record to jab at Walker for being very similar to outgoing Gov. Jim Doyle, despite the attempts of the Walker campaign to call Barrett a “third-term Doyle.”

Walker laughed at this comparison after the debate, calling the claim “ridiculous” and saying Barrett was the candidate that was touting Doyle’s failed policies.

The candidates also sparred over the state’s domestic partnership registry and the extension of health benefits to state employee’s domestic partners.

Barrett chastised Walker’s running mate Rebecca Kleefisch for comments she made on a radio show in January, where she likened same sex marriage to marrying a “clock.”

“I’m pleased that [Kleefisch] has apologized for her statements which were very, very hurtful,” Barrett said, though he added after the debate he was disappointed neither Walker nor Kleefisch repudiated the views until the January interview was brought to light.

Walker did not address Kleefisch’s remarks, but he said he supports the state’s constitutional amendment – approved by a statewide referendum – that defined marriage as between a man and a woman.

After the debate, Walker would not specifically say whether or not he would remove the state’s domestic partnership registry.

“I think they’re a violation of the (state) Constitution and I think there’s a legal case to be made,” Walker said.