Obama refines $50 billion project plans

President Barack Obama revealed more information Monday about his $50 billion proposal to improve infrastructure across the U.S., including the impact of the investment on state and local communities.

Obama presented the information at a meeting focused on the economic influence of the plan on communities along with other goals, including increasing output and competitiveness and creating jobs for middle class Americans, according to statement from the White House.

The White House projected 80 percent of the jobs that would be made by this proposal are expected to be in construction, manufacturing and retail trade sectors.

The investment made now will help pay dividends in today’s economy and in the future, said Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner in a statement.

The White House first introduced the proposal on Labor Day in Milwaukee.

Jay Heck, executive director of Common Cause in Wisconsin, sees the location of the initial announcement as an indicator Obama had Wisconsin in mind with the proposal, and the state will receive its fair share of the $50 billion.

The Democratic Party of Wisconsin supports the proposed money as a way to improve Wisconsin’s economy.

“In Wisconsin, we rely on our railway, highway and runway infrastructure to get our goods to other markets,” said Democratic Party of Wisconsin spokesperson Graeme Zielinksi.

The repairs and the building of new infrastructure is being invested with the future and the people who need it the most, namely middle class citizens, in mind, according to the White House.

Charles Franklin, political science professor at the University of Wisconsin, sees the proposal as a way to create jobs in the state, but also as a politically calculated move by Obama.

“In an election year, everything is a political ploy to some extent, even if it is good,” Franklin said.

The proposal will most likely stimulate the economy and create jobs, Heck said. Additionally, Heck said the issue of infrastructure repair cannot wait.

“We will need these repairs anyway, everyone uses them, and it is not like this is something that is a choice. The longer you wait, the more expensive it is,” said Heck.

The state GOP could not be reached for comment.