Judge Doyle Square proposal passes after six years of deliberation

Proposal is estimated to cost $170 million
Amos Mayberry

After many hours of deliberation Monday, the Board of Estimates chose Beitler Real Estate Services to develop Judge Doyle Square.

City officials compared differences in parking, design, hotel opportunity and public risk between the Vermilion Development and Beitler proposals before choosing the latter.

Ald. Maurice Cheeks, District 10, pointed out that this vote was only the beginning of the large development project.

“This was the first in the series of decisions that will have to be made moving forward,” Cheeks said.

One of the driving forces behind the final decision was the cost of the project and the revenue that it will provide. The Vermilion proposal was estimated to be $194 million, while the Beitler proposal was estimated to be about $170 million.

Beitler had two forms of the proposal that were also the subject of debate. Ultimately the vote was split 3-3 between the two Beitler proposals. But Mayor Paul Soglin provided the swing vote to pass the proposal form that features underground parking and will cost $45 million more.

‘Motion creates emotion’: New Judge Doyle Square proposal would bring reflective building to city

The proposal has plans for a new hotel, apartments and retail store space. Ald. Barbara Harrington-McKinney, District 1, said the chosen design is more unique than the competing Vermilion Design.

“It’s different and it will be a great investment into the city,” Harrington-McKinney said.

The Judge Doyle Square project has been in the making for six years, Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said.

Verveer said, due to the long deliberation process, no ground has been able to be broken, but Monday’s vote may change that.

“With the Beitler proposal that the board is recommending, there is light at the end of the tunnel, and we will hopefully be able to break ground sooner than later,” Verveer said.

The approved proposal now goes to the City Council, which must vote on it to finalize the decision. City Council’s next meeting is April 19.