The Halal Guys to bring Middle Eastern food chain to Madison

New York-born food cart has since become third most discussed restaurant on Yelp
Photo courtesy of Flickr user Jason Lam

The popular Middle Eastern restaurant chain known as The Halal Guys will be opening a new location in Madison by next winter.

The New York-founded restaurant will expand to Milwaukee in April, Dustin LeFebvre, an operating partner of the chain, said. Despite no prior experience with restaurant management, he’s excited to bring the franchise to Madison and hopes to find a suitable location on State Street.

The Halal Guys features Middle Eastern food such as gyros and rice platters.

Founded in the 1990, The Halal Guys began as a food cart started by Mohamed Aboueleneina Muslim immigrant. He managed the food cart while simultaneously working as a cab driver in New York.

LeFebvre said it was Abouelenein’s story of perseverance and humble beginnings that drove him to become an operating partner with The Halal Guys. He said at the beginning, the cart was a favorite of cab drivers who went on to recommend the food cart to patrons.

“The cab drivers were also the brand ambassadors,” LeFebvre said.

From the beginning, Andrew Eck, marketing director, said The Halal Guys have been at the forefront in a shift away from hot dog stands toward “Middle Eastern street food” in New York. He said since then, the franchise has gone on to be the third most discussed restaurant on Yelp and has even opened a location in the Philippines.

Currently, LeFebvre said he’s searching for leases on State Street and hopes to have one signed by April. Despite this being his first time to manage a restaurant, LeFebvre is confident he’ll be able to run his business effectively.