Proposed park on Mifflin jumps second city hurdle

Landowners contest city’s use of eminent domain
Jeff Miller/UW Communications

The city of Madison is one step closer to building a park at the intersection of Mifflin and Bassett Street Monday following a 4-2 vote at the city’s finance board.

The park would condemn five houses and an apartment building through the use of eminent domain. The city has long sought to build another park downtown and officials said the process would likely take around four years.

The proposal must now go to the parks commission before ultimately being heard in November during the City Council vote on the 2016 capital budget, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

Downtown park proposed for Mifflin, Bassett may cause building condemnation

The city has allocated $7.5 million for the purchase of properties and construction of the park, Verveer said.

He said the funds will be come from developer fees accrued whenever new apartment projects apply for permits. The funds are designated solely for parks project uses, he said.

“None of this money coming from general taxes,” Verveer said.

Several of the landowners whose land the city plans to acquire have protested the city’s use of eminent domain and will fight the proceedings, Verveer said.

The owner of the Ambassador West apartments, the largest property being affected, has already begun the move to stall the acquisition in the form of a letter sent from his lawyer, according to Board of Estimates documents.

Verveer said he fully expects the various owners to continue to fight for their properties, though he predicts the park will be constructed regardless.

Ald. Zach Wood, District 8, said he is torn by the city’s decision to condemn affordable student housing in exchange for more green space. He said while he always supports new park, he is also a strong proponent of better access to affordable student housing.

“On the one hand I like parks, the Kohl Center lawn gets awfully crowded on a nice day … but I think most students would put affordable housing higher on their priority list,” Wood said.

Wood said he hopes the city will make efforts to replace the lost housing.

Verveer said the city’s use of eminent domain is extremely rare, but said the city desperately needs the park and is therefore justified.

The last time the city used such powers was 10 years ago during the construction of James Madison park.

Verveer said legally, the process must take place over a minimum of two years.