Munchie Delivery Service closes down, founder focuses attention on newer endeavor

Partnership with major local grocery will provide entrepreneur with new opportunities
Herald File photo

Munchie Delivery is no longer operating, as the founder switches his focus to expand on his more recent creation, GrocerKey.

Munchie Delivery, a late-night delivery service, operated for nearly 10 years before being discontinued, Jeremy Neren, founder of both Munchie Delivery and GrocerKey, said. Munchie Delivery service was continuing to prosper, but Neren decided to narrow his focus after recently entering into a partnership with Woodman’s.

“For me, personally, it was a bit sad to stop doing Munchie Delivery,” Neren said. “But we had to weigh the value, and I am focused on GrocerKey right now.”

GrocerKey is an app that allows customers to shop online for their groceries. Users can select the products they wish to purchase, and then have them delivered at a time of their choosing. Neren came up with the idea following success with Munchie Delivery, and it went online in early March 2015.

GrocerKey app makes Madison groceries as simple as a click of a button

After previously partnering with a grocery store downtown, Woodman’s is GrocerKey’s first major grocery partner, Neren said.

On the new Woodman’s site, customers can browse nearly every product available at the store at in-store pricing. Woodman’s is nearly 30 percent cheaper than downtown grocery options, and in a price comparison Neren found Woodman’s to be even cheaper than Walmart.

Customers have the option to pick up their groceries or have them delivered. The delivery fee is a flat $14.95 to anywhere in the Madison area, and the pick-up fee is $9.95.

“Sometimes people get scared off by the delivery fee, but really Woodman’s in-store pricing still saves money,” Neren said.

In the next four to five months, Neren hopes to have several partnerships up and running with other local grocery stores. Neren will be launching partnerships by early 2016 with Willy Street Co-op, Miller and Sons and Regent Market Co-op. This will give students who are interested in natural or organic products an opportunity to have their groceries delivered as well, Neren said.

GrocerKey employees are providing the delivery services for Woodman’s, but for the other grocery stores Neren’s involvement will be more focused on building a platform for online ordering services.

Allowing the individual businesses to make their own decisions once their online presence is established will help the groceries to determine what is best for them, Neren said.

Some companies may not have the manpower to do delivery, but pick-up may be an effective way to expedite the grocery shopping process for customers, he said.

“It is largely about helping them devise a plan that makes sense,” Neren said. “We are just providing them the technology and training.”