Koval criticizes city alders’ lack of support for the police department

Letter follows a City Council meeting where community members testified against MPD
Jason Chan

Madison Police Chief Mike Koval admonished the City of Madison alders in a letter for remaining silent as the police department faces criticism following the death of Tony Robinson.

In the letter, Koval said the alders could not remain silent on the issue. He said the women and men of MPD have done plenty of risk taking for the community and the alders need to do the same.

“It is unacceptable for elected officials to remain silent while an institution like the MPD is sullied with drive-by disrespect,” Koval said.

The letter was sent to all 20 alders following a City Council meeting Tuesday. During the meeting, more than 20 community members gave testimony on Robinson’s death, many of them voicing outrage against the police department. Koval said some of the people who testified accused MPD of being sanctioned murderers and racists.

Koval said during the meeting, he was unable to respond to any of the accusations made against the police department, as the City Council meeting became a “kangaroo court.”

“One of my responsibilities is to defend those valued employees – sworn and non-sworn — that take pride in providing a premium service to the citizens and guests of our City,” Koval said.

After the death of Robinson, many protests have been sparked in the Madison area. The Department of Justice is currently investigating the case. A bill signed last year requires an outside party to investigate officer-involved deaths.

Koval said the joint statement City Council sent to Robinson’s family was appropriate. Koval also sent a letter to Robinson’s family after his death. Koval has apologized multiple times for the incident, including in a national interview with CNN.

However, Koval criticized that the City Council’s statement did not include any mention of support for MPD that acknowledged the steps they have made for public safety.

MPD chief warns against jumping to conclusions in Tony Robinson case

Koval said the alders should not speak up if they did not support MPD during the investigation.

“If you don’t feel that way, stand down as we only want those who believe in the authenticity of our work to speak up,” Koval said. “But at the end of the day, I am not an elected official who worries about my polling numbers – when this sort of reticence surfaces, there will be pushback from me.”