Police respond to shots fired at JD’s restaurant

Jason Chan

According to a Madison Police incident report, a gunshot was fired during a dispute between two individuals at JD’s restaurant on North Bassett Street early Sunday. Officials believe the two individuals involved know each other.

Before the incident, the fight moved outside where one suspect pulled out a pistol and fired it, according to the report.

A Madison police officer arrived on the scene at 3 a.m. where he found the victim, a 27-year-old Madison resident. Officials transported him to a local hospital where medical professionals treated him for minor injuries resulting from the incident.

The police are still currently conducting the investigation.

MPD sent WiscAlerts to students as they addressed the situation.

At 3:29 a.m., MPD closed off West Johnson Street to investigate the shooting and told patrons to avoid the area. The alert said two male suspects fled the scene toward University Avenue.

MPD alerted students to avoid an extended area between W. Johnson and N. Bassett Street at 4 a.m. as they continued their investigation.

By 4:22 a.m. MPD opened the area back up as a they no longer believed the incident was threatening to the community.