Willy Street Co-op celebrates 40th anniversary, outlines future expansion plans

Hayley Cleghorn

The Willy Street Co-op is celebrating its 40th anniversary this month, highlighting its history as a noteworthy Madison destination and its plans to expand.

The co-op opened its doors in 1974 with six volunteer staff members, and has since expanded to include 310 paid staff members and a second location in Middleton, which opened in 2010.

Ald. Marsha Rummel, District 6, said the co-op is a great example of the changes in the Williamson Street neighborhood since the 1970s.

“They’ve grown with our neighborhood and represent the progressive values of our neighborhood,” she said.

When the co-op first opened, Williamson Street was home to a working class population, Rummel said.

As the area became more popular, home prices have risen, resulting in more middle and upper-income residents in the area, she said.

“They kind of represent in many ways the highest aspirations of neighborhood,” she said.

The co-op model allows customers to become owners by paying a one-time charge of $58 for individuals and $93 for families, Smith said.

Owners elect a board of directors, which oversees the general operation of the store along with the general manager, he said.

One of the co-op’s early obstacles was the lack of this board. Originally, all owners had to vote on every decision, even purchasing a cash register, he said. The new structure allows for a more streamlined functioning of the organization, he said.

Smith said co-ops around the country are rapidly expanding, adding second, third and fourth stores. Other co-op organizations, such as credit unions, are growing in the Madison area as well, he said.

“It’s a good time to be a co-op right now,” he said.

The co-op is also looking to expand to a third location in the Madison area, according to Willy Street Co-op spokesperson Brendon Smith.

“We have been talking with groups with Allied Drive about a grocery store over there, but no particular site has been selected yet,” Smith said.

West side Walgreens to close, leaving residents stranded in “food desert”

The co-op is also exploring ways to provide residents of that neighborhood with food options, he said. 

Smith said he isn’t worried the co-op will lose much business to the city’s public market, which may be located just blocks away at the intersection of East Washington Avenue and First Street. The added competition will be good for shoppers, he said.

Smith said the store is a major part of the neighborhood community.

“I think we’re one of the anchors of the neighborhood,” Smith said. “When we opened it was definitely a different time and the neighborhood had some challenges at the time, so now we are a source of good jobs and we are a community resource.”