Rise of the Rest Road Trip stops in Madison to explore startup potential, awards local group $100,000 grant

Logan Reigstad

A nationwide competition celebrating entrepreneurship held an event in Madison on Monday and awarded one local company a $100,000 grand prize.

The Rise of the Rest Road Trip featured a pitch competition, where startups from around Madison pitched their ideas to a panel of judges. Of the pitches, the winning company, SOLOMO Technology, was awarded the $100,000 prize. The company’s CEO, Liz Eversoll, accepted the award at the final recognition ceremony.

SOLOMO is a company that uses data collected from mobile phones, including Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connections, to help businesses improve customer service, organize events and manage their workforce.

The event offered investors the opportunity to present their ideas to a group of innovators, including AOL co-founder Steve Case, at a fireside chat held at the Majestic Theatre.

It also highlighted Madison’s business-friendly atmosphere, which Ald. Maurice Cheeks, District 10, said is extremely important for startups.

Also important, he said, is having a diverse group of entrepreneurs.

“We had several female entrepreneurs as well as a diversity of ages of entrepreneurs, which are both great indicators of an entrepreneurial ecosystem,” Cheeks said.

Other finalists include Fishidy, an app designed to help fishers find the perfect fishing spot; Murfie, a music marketplace that combines digital music with physical vinyl and CDs; and Project Foundry, which focuses on using project-based learning to guide students’ learning.

Rise of the Rest will make stops across the Midwest throughout the month of October, including in Minneapolis, Des Moines, Kansas City and St. Louis.

While announcing the winner of the award, Case stressed the importance of businesses big and small working together to help create a city full of collaborators and innovators.

“Entrepreneurs need to rally together, to create this network effect, focus on collaboration, focus on lifting each other up,” Case said. “If you do that effectively I think the country and the world will understand what’s happening in Madison.”

Case said maintaining a business-friendly atmosphere will help reduce the “brain drain” Madison has experienced in the past, where students graduate from University of Wisconsin then leave the state to pursue a career.

In addition, creating strong ties between the business community and UW will help Madison become a top region for entrepreneurs, Case said.

“A lot of great things are happening, how do we take that to the next level,” Case said.